Kirkley march on in Vase
Kirkley & Pakefield 2, Biggleswade United 0Kirkley & Pakefield created a piece of history in atrocious conditions when moving comfortably into the third round of the FA Vase for the first ever time.
Kirkley & Pakefield 2, Biggleswade United 0
Kirkley & Pakefield created a piece of history in atrocious conditions when moving comfortably into the third round of the FA Vase for the first ever time.
It should have been a more convincing victory than the final 2 0 win after missing many gilt-edged chances in front of goal, especially in the second half with the wind at their backs.
The visitors huffed and puffed in the first half and did not use the wind to their advantage but when they did Kirkley's man of the match, skipper Joe Jefford, was in commanding form and it was he who broke the deadlock on 49 minutes with a splendid header to finish off a well-placed Lewis Blois 30-yard free-kick .
You may also want to watch:
Blois himself then made the scoresheet for the first time this campaign when from fully 40 yards out he deceived the overworked Biggleswade keeper with a free-kick that soared into the top of the net as Kirkley kept a clean sheet for the 15th time this season.
They march on in three cup competitions as well as healthy league position with games in hand on the leaders.
- 1 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 2 City keeper issues injury update
- 3 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 4 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 5 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 6 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 7 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Young City winger completes permanent Harrogate Town move
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level