Kirkley star is suspended

RIDGEONS LEAGUE: Lee Gilman has been suspended by Kirkley & Pakefield following an incident which saw the Premier Division game at Harwich & Parkeston abandoned after 39 minutes.

Lee Gilman has been suspended by Kirkley & Pakefield following an incident which saw the Premier Division game at Harwich & Parkeston abandoned after 39 minutes.

Former Diss and Wroxham striker and ex-Norwich trainee Gilman was involved in an altercation with the referee having been shown a red card shortly after Harwich had scored to make it 1-1. The referee subsequently abandoned the match.

A statement issued on the Kirkley website said: "Kirkley & Pakefield FC would like to apologise to the referee and his assistants at this afternoon's game at Harwich & Parkeston for the behaviour of one of our players.

"This is conduct that cannot be condoned and the player in question has been suspended by the club with immediate effect. Kirkley & Pakefield would like to thank the Harwich & Parkeston committee and officials for their hospitality.

You may also want to watch:

"A further statement will be issued in due course."

Ridgeons League secretary and treasurer Nigel Spurling said: "We will be considering what we do in due course, we don't rush into these situations.

Most Read

"I have spoken to the referee to ensure he is okay, but I have not received his report yet. What he did say to me was that he considers the conduct of officials from both clubs to be exemplary."

Elsewhere, Dale Cockrill fired a hat-trick to keep Lowestoft six points clear at the top of the Premier Division with a 5-2 victory at home to Felixstowe & Walton.

Jamie Godbold added the other two goals for the Blues, who remain unbeaten.

Dereham moved up to third with a comfortable 3-0 win against bottom club Haverhill.

The Magpies went ahead through skipper Graham Barrett on 38 minutes and Danny Beaumont doubled the lead before half-time from the penalty spot.

Barrett notched his second four minutes after half-time as he slotted home from 10 yards out.

Norwich United conceded a late equaliser in a 2-2 draw at Woodbridge.

The Planters took the lead on 10 minutes when Bradley Hoffman's first-time shot left the home keeper motionless. Woodbridge drew level after 31 minutes as Paul Hart lobbed the Planters' debutant keeper Nathan Pauling.

Seb Muddell restored the visitors' advantage when he latched on to Lee Howlett's pass to find the net.

Woodbridge were reduced to 10 men on 88 minutes as Liam Scopes was shown a second yellow for a foul on Pauling, but they conjured another equaliser when Ben Miller's shot was adjudged to have crossed the line.

Scott Cubberley's double helped Wisbech to a 2-1 win at home to CRC.

Cubberley opened the scoring with a tap-in after 20 minutes and then struck the winner on 74 minutes, soon after CRC had equalised through Sam Ives.

In Division One, Gareth Palmer headed the winner for Yarmouth in a 1-0 win at Debenham, while Fakenham succumbed to a 4-0 home defeat against Saffron Walden, with all of the goals coming in the last 13 minutes.

Gary Ingram's last-minute goal from a free-kick saved a point for Gorleston as they drew 2-2 with Halstead. Eddie Thompson was also on the scoresheet for Gorleston.

Diss won 3-0 at Long Melford, with a long range strike from Luke Catchpole, an own goal and a Danny Partridge penalty, while Ash Smith's goal could not prevent a 3-1 defeat for Downham at Stowmarket.

Swaffham lost 3-1 to FC Clacton, while Thetford were also beaten, 3-0 by Godmanchester.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus