The key dates Norwich City fans need to know ahead of the 2019-20 Premier League season
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City are heading back to the Premier League, so here are the key dates you need for your diary – including the fixture announcement, season start date, winter break and transfer window details.
The Canaries sealed promotion with a 2-1 win over Blackburn at Carrow Road on Saturday and know a point at Aston Villa on Sunday will seal the title, although if Sheffield United fail to win at Stoke they will be lifting the trophy anyway – with all Championship games kicking off at 12.30pm on the final day.
City supporters will be able to start planning their 2019-20 season from 9am on Thursday, June 13, which is when the Premier League fixtures for next season will be announced.
The summer transfer window then officially opens on Monday, July 1, although clubs often announce deals ahead of the confirmation date as it is the usual date from which contracts begin.
The transfer window closes ahead of the first game of the season for Premier League teams though, at 5pm on Thursday, August 8.
You may also want to watch:
Top-flight teams are then set to kick-off their campaign with a first fixture on Saturday, August 10 and the final games are scheduled for Sunday, May 17, 2020 – ahead of the European Championship being held in capital cities across the continent, with the semi-finals and final at Wembley.
City are also set to benefit from the Premier League season featuring its first winter break. Exact dates are not yet announced but Premier League clubs are set to be afforded 13 days off in late January and early February, with no friendly games allowed.
- 1 Former Norwich City chief set for Hibs
- 2 Canaries' ace Billy Gilmour belts out karaoke classic in city
- 3 Canaries Q&A: City prepare for Coventry and Sheffield United
- 4 Connor Southwell: Norwich City's stability starts with Delia
- 5 Norwich City loan watch: Ahadme on target again for Pompey
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Reported target set to snub Canaries
- 7 City will have away fans at Sheffield United
- 8 'A great guy' - Tributes to much-loved City fan who travelled home and away
- 9 Norwich City Under-23s to play some matches at The Walks
- 10 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
That break will be staggered so that 10 clubs are on a break over one weekend and then the other 10 off the following weekend, so that there is no blank weekend for broadcasters.
As part of that change FA Cup fifth round ties will be played in midweek, with replays from that stage of the competition and onwards abolished.
As a Premier League team, Norwich will not enter the League Cup until the second round – having reached the fourth round in each of the past two campaigns.
KEY PREMIER LEAGUE DATES
• Thursday, June 13 (9am) – fixtures announced
• Monday, July 1 – summer transfer window opens
• Thursday, August 8 (5pm) – transfer window closes
• Saturday, August 10 – season begins
• Sunday, May 17, 2020 – season finishes