Krul in line for more Holland action as Cillessen picks up injury
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City number one Tim Krul could be in line for more action with Holland during the international break, after Valencia keeper Jasper Cillessen had to pull out of the squad through injury.
The 32-year-old won his ninth cap during the October international break, making his first appearance for his country in five years, since suffering a serious knee injury during a European Championship qualifier in Kazakhstan.
That was Frank de Boer’s first game in charge, a 1-0 friendly defeat to Mexico, and with Cillessen out of the squad it’s uncapped Feyenoord 22-year-old Justin Bijlow called up to compete with Krul and Marco Bizot of AZ Alkmaar, who is also uncapped.
Holland host Spain in a friendly on Wednesday, followed by Nations League games at home to Bosnia & Hezegovina on Sunday and away to Poland the following Wednesday.
Speaking after keeping a fourth clean sheet of the season during City’s 1-0 home win over Swansea on Saturday, Krul joked: “It’s only Spain on Wednesday! It’s exciting, the number one is injured, I’ve just heard, so hopefully I’m getting my minutes again.
You may also want to watch:
“I feel really good, to walk in on the back of some really good results, so I definitely think I’m going to get some minutes.”
The former Newcastle keeper made an appearance as a substitute during the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, saving two penalties in a shoot-out as Costa Rica were beaten in the quarter-finals.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 2 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 3 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 6 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 7 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 8 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 9 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 10 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
He was voted Player of the Season by Norwich fans as City were relegated from the Premier League but remained with the club and was voted Player of the Month for October after continuing his excellent form.
Krul made his 95th appearance for the club on Saturday, making some crucial saves during the win over Swansea, having played a key role in the Championship title triumph of 2018-19 after signing on a free transfer from Brighton to get his career back on track.