Krul in line for more Holland action as Cillessen picks up injury
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City number one Tim Krul could be in line for more action with Holland during the international break, after Valencia keeper Jasper Cillessen had to pull out of the squad through injury.
The 32-year-old won his ninth cap during the October international break, making his first appearance for his country in five years, since suffering a serious knee injury during a European Championship qualifier in Kazakhstan.
That was Frank de Boer’s first game in charge, a 1-0 friendly defeat to Mexico, and with Cillessen out of the squad it’s uncapped Feyenoord 22-year-old Justin Bijlow called up to compete with Krul and Marco Bizot of AZ Alkmaar, who is also uncapped.
Holland host Spain in a friendly on Wednesday, followed by Nations League games at home to Bosnia & Hezegovina on Sunday and away to Poland the following Wednesday.
Speaking after keeping a fourth clean sheet of the season during City’s 1-0 home win over Swansea on Saturday, Krul joked: “It’s only Spain on Wednesday! It’s exciting, the number one is injured, I’ve just heard, so hopefully I’m getting my minutes again.
You may also want to watch:
“I feel really good, to walk in on the back of some really good results, so I definitely think I’m going to get some minutes.”
The former Newcastle keeper made an appearance as a substitute during the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, saving two penalties in a shoot-out as Costa Rica were beaten in the quarter-finals.
- 1 Farke's take on Krul and Pukki body blows
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
- 3 Former City keeper signs for Coventry ahead of Carrow Road clash
- 4 Casualty list at City is one for the fiction writers
- 5 Matchday Live: City trying to extend unbeaten run to 10 games as they face Coventry
- 6 Webber believes City will be better prepared for top flight if promotion can be secured
- 7 Main man Tettey has still got it
- 8 Get behind McGovern urges Farke
- 9 Late McCracken penalty save ensures City U23s draw with Burnley
- 10 Decade of East Anglian Derby dominance for Canaries
He was voted Player of the Season by Norwich fans as City were relegated from the Premier League but remained with the club and was voted Player of the Month for October after continuing his excellent form.
Krul made his 95th appearance for the club on Saturday, making some crucial saves during the win over Swansea, having played a key role in the Championship title triumph of 2018-19 after signing on a free transfer from Brighton to get his career back on track.