Lambert sweating over Martin injury ahead of Walsall
Michael Bailey Right-back Russell Martin is the main doubt as Norwich City aim to finally complete their League One fixture at Walsall.The defender was pulled off at half-time in the terrific 1-0 win over Brentford on Saturday due of a hip injury.
Right-back Russell Martin is the main doubt as Norwich City aim to finally complete their League One fixture at Walsall.
The defender was pulled off at half-time in the terrific 1-0 win over Brentford on Saturday due of a hip injury.
Lambert's natural cover is Michael Spillane, but having only just returned to full-time training after a length period on the sidelines with a hamstring injury, the City boss will be hoping Martin is fit enough to continue at the Bescot Stadium tomorrow (7.45pm).
It will be the third time City have prepared for the trip to the Midlands, after their Christmas clash on December 28 was postponed just an hour before kick-off, while the original rearranged date of January 12 also fell victim to a frozen pitch.
Grant Holt begins his three-match suspension following his straight red card for an over-the-top tackle on Bees midfielder Toumani Diagouraga in the weekend victory.
- 1 Smith braced for a late transfer window twist
- 2 'Should be winning these games' - City fans react to Hull loss
- 3 Byram key to City's left back injury curse
- 4 No need to panic says City chief Smith after Hull defeat
- 5 Hanley adamant City are moving in the right direction despite Hull loss
- 6 HULL 2 CANARIES 1 - Key moments, ratings and stats
- 7 Paddy's Pointers: Hull City 2-1 Canaries
- 8 Those ever-changing moods...
- 9 Villa ace Ramsey was a prime City target
- 10 Norwich City unveil 2022/23 third kit
Oli Johnson, who set up Chris Martin's winner on Saturday, seems the most likely replacement with Lambert not expected to change City's diamond formation that has proved so successful this term.
That win - enough to put City top of League One - saw a supreme effort as the Canaries, who were a man down for 50 minutes.
But while City's legs may be a little stiff, Walsall should be well rested. The freezing weather has restricted the Saddlers to just one game since December 19 - a 2-1 home defeat to struggling Brighton.
Walsall are the only team to have kept a clean sheet against City in League One this season, in the goalless stalemate at Carrow Road at the start of September