Lambert to make changes for Blackburn
Michael Bailey Paul Lambert admits he will make changes ahead of Norwich City's Carling Cup second round tie at Blackburn Rovers on Tuesday (8pm).One of those will be forced upon him in the shape of centre-back Michael Nelson, who limped out of the Canaries' 2-0 Championship win over Swansea City at Carrow Road on Saturday - their second successive clean sheet.
Paul Lambert admits he will make changes ahead of Norwich City's Carling Cup second round tie at Blackburn Rovers tonight (8pm).
One of those will be forced upon him in the shape of centre-back Michael Nelson, who limped out of the Canaries' 2-0 Championship win over Swansea City at Carrow Road on Saturday - their second successive clean sheet.
The 30-year-old was due to have a scan on his ankle this morning after taking two late knocks as City's thrilling finale unfolded at the weekend.
And the Norwich boss will make other changes to keep his City side fresh for the trip to Lancashire.
“Michael will have a scan and we'll have to wait and see but he'll definitely be out, but other than that we are not too bad,” said Lambert.
- 1 CANARIES 2 BIRMINGHAM 2 (4-2 pens) - Key moments, ratings and stats
- 2 'No, he won't do it again' - Smith on Nunez's cheeky League Cup pen
- 3 Follow live updates of Norwich City v Birmingham
- 4 Sinani's first City strike years in the making
- 5 Carabao Cup: City loanee scores in cup shock; Canaries fan nets winner at Ipswich
- 6 Chris Sutton: Cantwell's City comeback could prove the making of him
- 7 Smith puts tribal loyalties on hold ahead of Blues cup clash
- 8 Paddy's Pointers: City 2-2 Blues (Norwich won 4-2 on pens)
- 9 Starting XIs: Gibbs, Sara and Tomkinson make full City debuts in cup
- 10 'Never do it the easy way!' - Fans react to City's penalty shoot-out cup win
“I'll change the team. There will be a few changes. Everybody has to play their part and everybody is as important as each other. Simon (Lappin) and (David) Fox have been unlucky not to start but at least I know they are really close to it and can play, and it's up to each other to keep the pressure on everybody. I value everybody the same.”
Danish defender Jens Berthel Askou came on for Nelson against Swansea and will be in pole position to make his first City start of the season at Ewood Park.
But with a tough trip to Nottingham Forest in the Championship on Saturday, Lambert is expected to rest some of his other preferred starters for a game Norwich will go into as comfortable underdogs.
Rovers boss Sam Allardyce is also expected to make changes for City's visit following his side's 2-1 defeat at Birmingham City in the Premier League on Saturday.
David Dunn (groin), Vince Grella (calf), Pascal Chimbonda (broken nose) and Keith Andrews (groin) are all out, leaving Allardyce with a few easy decisions to make.
“The team selection isn't a difficult one because it is about playing the players who are in the first team but not playing at this moment in time,” said Allardyce.
City defenders Zak Whitbread and Steven Smith remain on the sidelines - although both could come into contention following the international break in a fortnight's time.