Lappin's praise for 10-man Norwich City
David Cuffley Midfielder Simon Lappin believes Norwich City passed their biggest test of character so far this season in securing the victory that took them top of League One.
Midfielder Simon Lappin believes Norwich City passed their biggest test of character so far this season in securing the victory that took them top of League One.
The Canaries were reduced to 10 men for the final 50 minutes of a stirring Carrow Road encounter with Brentford after skipper Grant Holt was shown a straight red card for a foul on Toumani Diagouraga. But, roared on by another near full house, they battled their way to their 10th successive home win, courtesy of Chris Martin's 17th goal of the season. It was enough to nudge City ahead of leaders Leeds on goal difference ahead of tomorrow night's rearranged game at Walsall. Lappin, pictured, said: “We were disappointed we went down to 10 men. At the time I didn't think it was a red card for Grant Holt.
“I thought the referee was going to give the foul against their man but when he sent Grant off, we were up against it. It was a real test of character, but even then we were still creating chances. It just shows the great belief and desire of all the boys to go and get three points when we were down to 10 men. We just kept doing what we were doing and we've got a massive three points. Playing in front of a crowd like this every week is fantastic.”
You may also want to watch:
Striker Martin's winner came 13 minutes from time as he squeezed his shot home from the tightest of angles after the cleverest of passes from substitute Oli Johnson.
“Give Chrissy the ball anywhere in the 18-yard box and he'll finish it. It looked as if he was right on the byline but it was a great ball through from Oli and a great spot from him to see his run,” said Lappin.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 2 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 5 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 6 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion