Last-gasp cup triumph for Acle Ladies
Acle United Ladies completed the league and cup double on Sunday in a thrilling final encounter against a good Hethersett side at Plantation Park.
With the league already in the bag it was always important that Acle played well if they wanted to complete the double.
With just eight minutes on the clock Acle got themselves In front when skipper Emerson volleyed home from 10 yards from an Anderson corner.
With play very even Acle soon found themselves two up when Woollaston got on the end of a long throw and headed past the keeper from six yards.
Only minutes later McCrory made a brilliant last-ditch tackle to avoid Hethersett getting one back. Only minutes later the same striker rushed through on goal only to have the exact outcome happen.
You may also want to watch:
With half an hour gone Acle found themselves on the back foot for a while and the opposition scored a good goal after the striker had out-paced the defence.
Just before the half-time whistle Hethersett scored an exact replica to make it 2-2 at half time.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 3 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 4 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 5 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 6 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
- 7 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 8 'That's the bottom line' - Dowell clear on his City priorities
- 9 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 10 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
The second half was much more even with both sides playing some nice football. In the 84th minute, against the run of play, Hethersett scored to make it 3-2.
Just as it seemed Acle would be runners-up they got a lifeline when C Anderson fired through a box full of players to score and take the game into extra time.
The first period started with Acle on top, then Hethersett were, and with only five minutes played a Hethersett player turned well to shoot past Holl in the Acle goal.
At the re-start Acle reacted well to a loose ball and Hooper sent a ball through to Ashman who rounded the Keeper to make it 4-4.
The second period brought about a very tense game and with both teams looking like scoring it was Acle who got a free kick 25 yards out for a pull on Baker with only one minute left on the clock.
The responsibility fell to Cara Anderson who stepped up to curl the ball over the wall and into the top corner to win the game for Acle.
Final score Hethersett Ath 4, Acle Utd 5 after extra time which meant Acle became league and cup double winners.
James Foreman, of the Acle club, said: “It has to be said it’s one of the most epic finals I’m sure that has been played in ladies’ football in recent years and will take some beating.”