Last-gasp goal sinks Blues
Croydon 2, Lowestoft Town 1: Lowestoft bowed out of the Ryman League's Championship Manager Cup competition at the quarter-final stage last night after conceding a last-minute goal at Croydon.
Croydon 2, Lowestoft Town 1
Lowestoft bowed out of the Ryman League's Championship Manager Cup competition at the quarter-final stage last night after conceding a last-minute goal at Croydon.
The Blues, looking to bounce back from Tuesday night's 5-0 hammering at Concord Rangers, gave a far better account of themselves this time and took the lead midway through the second half through substitute Jamie Godbold. But Croydon equalised nine minutes later through Gareth Williams and booked their place in the last four when Williams fired home from close range after keeper Andy Reynolds had parried his original shot.
In a first half of few chances Gary Noel missed a decent opportunity before Reynolds pulled off a good save to deny Dean Godfrey, after good work from Tom Bolarinna.
You may also want to watch:
The Blues suffered a setback when young defender John Lovelock picked up a head injury, to be replaced by Greg Crane. Lowestoft took the lead on 63 minutes when Godbold, who had only just come on, beat Little from 25 yards. Croydon substitute Williams equalised on 72 minutes before adding the killer second in the final minute.
Lowestoft: Reynolds, Poppy, Marsden (Godbold 61), Halliday, Lovelock (Crane 27), Potter, Bussens, Forshaw, Bloomfield, Mitchell, Francis (Nolan 85).
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries make bid for Peterborough ace
- 2 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 3 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 4 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 5 Boro set to sign Premier League forward ahead of Norwich trip
- 6 'There isn't one team that stands out' - Bees' boss on promotion fight
- 7 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 8 'He came crying' - Former coach details Giannoulis left-back conversion
- 9 Connor Southwell: Sorting Todd’s contract is City’s next big mission
- 10 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers