Late brace by Blues ends Bloaters' bid
Lowestoft 3, Yarmouth Town 0: The Trawlerboys, as expected, progressed into the next round of the FA Cup with victory over their Ridgeons First Division visitors and they will next host Dereham.
Lowestoft 3, Yarmouth Town 0
The Trawlerboys, as expected, progressed into the next round of the FA Cup with victory over their Ridgeons First Division visitors and they will next host Dereham.
But the Bloaters put up stubborn resistance and it was not until the final 10 minutes that the Blues added the goals to make the scoreline more flattering.
Lowestoft made the perfect start to settle any early nerves by opening the scoring in the sixth minute.
From a free-kick 25 yards out Scott Mitchell curled the ball directly into the top corner, keeper Michael Hilton getting a hand to the ball but unable to keep it from entering the net.
Lowestoft could not keep the momentum going although they continued to monopolise possession. The best move of the half was started by a Greg Crane trademark crossfield pass to release Craig Bussens.
- 1 City old boy Martin rebuffed job interest amid Watford reports
- 2 'They've handled this badly but I'm glad Teemu won' - fans react to Pukki POTS award
- 3 'Why are the disillusioned leaving their calling card by way of an empty seat?'
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in West Brom's Kipre
- 5 Canaries on the right track with Dean Smith, insists Zimmermann
- 6 Fears Spurs fans may infiltrate home end at Norwich City match
- 7 Ian Clarke: Time for City to end miserable season with a big scalp
- 8 Teemu Pukki named as Norwich City Player of the Season
- 9 Chris Sutton: Pukki is a Norwich legend... Now they must keep him
- 10 PODCAST: A City point to discuss as attentions turn to next season
He played the ball back to Carl Poppy to cross to the far post for Jamie Godbold to volley goalwards - only for the ball to be turned for a corner by a diving header from Adrian Ager.
The second half fare was little better.
Scott Mitchell crossed for Damian Hilton to head into the side netting and Hilton himself then fed Craig Bussens, who curled the ball too high and wide.
The Bloaters highlighted the fact that a single goal is a precarious lead as Scott Woodcock had a clear shot at goal but hit the ball tamely at Lowestoft keeper Andy Reynolds.
Woodcock went closer with a 25-yard free-kick which keeper Reynolds had to stretch to tip over his crossbar. Lowestoft finally made the game safe in the 81st minute.
Adam Smith made ground down the left and crossed beyond the far post where Damian Hilton brought the ball down and shot past his namesake in the Yarmouth goal.
Michael Hilton then blocked from Richard Woodrow who had been set up by Darren Cockrill and Jamie Godbold, before Lowestoft rubbed salt into the Yarmouth wounds with a third goal in the 86th minute.
Reece Hunn and Jamie Godbold combined for Ross King to slip past the keeper.
Lowestoft: Reynolds, Poppy, A Smith, S Mitchell, Crane, Plaskett, Godbold, Fisk, D Hilton, King, Bussens, Subs: Hunn, Darren Cockrill, Woodrow, Potter, Finch
Yarmouth Town: M Hilton, Junior, Savage, Roberts, Ager, Saunders, Sewell, Magee, Reed, D Smith, Woodcock, Subs: Roach, Bartley, Formoso, Thompson, Gorbould.