Lawrenson claims ref Webb ‘helped’ Norwich City on way to victory
BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson claimed World Cup final referee Howard Webb “helped” the Canaries as they chalked up their first Premier League win of the season.
The former Liverpool star, speaking on Match of the Day, argued that Webb should have punished City defender Leon Barnett for a 15th-minute challenge on Bolton’s Ivan Klasnic, who was later sent off for a head-butt on Marc Tierney.
Barnett’s backside caught Klasnic on the head as he jumped and the Croatian needed treatment before continuing.
“As well as Norwich did, you look at Howard Webb and you kind of think he helped them a little bit,” said Lawrenson.
“In one of the major incidents, Barnett comes through here for this tackle - nothing happens to him. And the more you see of it, you realise what a really bad challenge that was. Nothing - not even a booking.
You may also want to watch:
“I can understand Howard Webb, he wants to try to keep everybody on the pitch as he did in the World Cup final. Sometimes you’ve just got to say ‘I’m sorry . . .’”
Lawrenson also criticised Tierney for his reaction as Klasnic aimed a head-butt at the City full-back to earn a red card.
- 1 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 3 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
- 4 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 5 City boss has found his job 'even harder' than title-winning season
- 6 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 7 'Bring it on', says Bournemouth boss
- 8 Former City coach leaves England U21 post
- 9 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
- 10 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
“He’s got to go because of the intent, but hey, hold on a minute - Tierney, seriously, if he sees that on the telly tonight, he’s got to have a look at himself or his manager’s got to say to him ‘Look, you just can’t throw yourself on the floor’.
“To add insult to injury, Tierney starts to rub his eye as well. I don’t think he was anywhere near him.
“You would be embarrassed to see that, how you throw yourself down.”
Lawrenson added: “That’s the thing with Howard Webb. Sometimes you end up with referees trying to referee the game that they think people want you to referee.”