Leaders too strong for Thetford
Great Yarmouth 3, Thetford Town 1Thetford Town travelled to top-of-the-table Yarmouth and got off to a great start; by taking an 11th minute lead a pass from Davies found Mann who powered into the area to cross for Dixon to strike home at the near post.
Great Yarmouth 3, Thetford Town 1
Thetford Town travelled to top-of-the-table Yarmouth and got off to a great start; by taking an 11th minute lead a pass from Davies found Mann who powered into the area to cross for Dixon to strike home at the near post.
The game then went from end to end and Yarmouth equalised on 19 minutes when a long ball seemed to deceive the Town defence and was steered home on the goal line.
Town then applied some pressure but chances were not taken. On 23 minutes Yarmouth had a chance which was cleared off the line by Thompson and then Mann had a good chance on 33 minutes from a corner which broke to Yarmouth who wasted a good chance.
You may also want to watch:
A good move by Town down the left saw a Haynes cross just too high and was cleared.
On the stroke of half time Town conceded a free-kick and this resulted in McGee slotting the kick into the top left-hand corner.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 3 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 4 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 7 Hanley insists winning title 'means everything' to Canaries
- 8 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 9 Watford wanted to stop promoted City enjoying 'showcase game'
- 10 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
In the second half Yarmouth had an early chance, but it Town who nearly equalised when Money stole in at the far post, only to see the keeper scramble it for a corner.
Yarmouth always looked dangerous on the break and from one of them they hit the bar on 52 minutes and was cleared. Town had a rare corner on 60 minutes but this was cleared.
Yarmouth sealed the points on 70 minutes when Town's defence went awol, only for Roach to strike the ball into the roof of the net. Both teams were reduced to 10 men in the closing minutes when Davies was dismissed and the last town effort from Collins -Reed nearly ended up on the sea front.
This Saturday the first team entertain Ipswich Wanderers 3 pm kick off.
Yarmouth achieved a double with a 3-0 win over Thetford Reserves, who this week are at Stowmarket, 3pm kick off.