“Leadership and passion is needed in a transition period” – Norwich City fans react to Russell Martin’s new contract
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City fans have been discussing news of a contract extension for club captain Russell Martin.
The Canaries revealed the long-serving defender has signed a one-year extension to keep him with the club until 2019, with the option for a further 12 months.
Martin made 39 appearances last season to take his overall tally to 302 and move him up to 23rd in the club’s all-time appearances list.
Signed from Peterborough by Paul Lambert in November 2009, the new contract could potentially see the 31-year-old complete 10 seasons with the Canaries and earn a testimonial.
Farke, speaking to City’s website, added: “Russell is an idol here and it’s a great decision to give him this deal. He’s the skipper, and he will be my captain for this season.
You may also want to watch:
“Even when there are times when he’s not playing, he’s so important for the whole squad. All of the younger guys can learn from him about how to be a professional, how to work under pressure, how to behave. He’s a smart, intelligent guy and it’s a great decision for Norwich City.”
• Take a look at some of the reaction from City fans above
- 1 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 2 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 6 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 7 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 8 'As good as I've seen him!' - City fans laud Cantwell performance
- 9 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 10 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact