“Leadership and passion is needed in a transition period” – Norwich City fans react to Russell Martin’s new contract
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City fans have been discussing news of a contract extension for club captain Russell Martin.
The Canaries revealed the long-serving defender has signed a one-year extension to keep him with the club until 2019, with the option for a further 12 months.
Martin made 39 appearances last season to take his overall tally to 302 and move him up to 23rd in the club’s all-time appearances list.
Signed from Peterborough by Paul Lambert in November 2009, the new contract could potentially see the 31-year-old complete 10 seasons with the Canaries and earn a testimonial.
Farke, speaking to City’s website, added: “Russell is an idol here and it’s a great decision to give him this deal. He’s the skipper, and he will be my captain for this season.
You may also want to watch:
“Even when there are times when he’s not playing, he’s so important for the whole squad. All of the younger guys can learn from him about how to be a professional, how to work under pressure, how to behave. He’s a smart, intelligent guy and it’s a great decision for Norwich City.”
• Take a look at some of the reaction from City fans above
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 3 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 6 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 7 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 8 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 9 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
- 10 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies