“Leadership and passion is needed in a transition period” – Norwich City fans react to Russell Martin’s new contract
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City fans have been discussing news of a contract extension for club captain Russell Martin.
The Canaries revealed the long-serving defender has signed a one-year extension to keep him with the club until 2019, with the option for a further 12 months.
Martin made 39 appearances last season to take his overall tally to 302 and move him up to 23rd in the club’s all-time appearances list.
Signed from Peterborough by Paul Lambert in November 2009, the new contract could potentially see the 31-year-old complete 10 seasons with the Canaries and earn a testimonial.
Farke, speaking to City’s website, added: “Russell is an idol here and it’s a great decision to give him this deal. He’s the skipper, and he will be my captain for this season.
You may also want to watch:
“Even when there are times when he’s not playing, he’s so important for the whole squad. All of the younger guys can learn from him about how to be a professional, how to work under pressure, how to behave. He’s a smart, intelligent guy and it’s a great decision for Norwich City.”
• Take a look at some of the reaction from City fans above
- 1 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 2 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 3 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 4 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 5 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 6 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 7 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 8 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 9 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round
- 10 Norwich City Debate Recap: Academy prospects to fill in, loan break clauses and Drmic all discussed