Lease means Walks work can now get under way
Paddy Davitt King's Lynn Town officials have finally been granted a temporary lease to the council-owned Walks Stadium. Chairman Buster Chapman was awarded the lease in January but had to wait for formal agreements to be signed before gaining access to the ground to begin a programme of stadium improvements.
King's Lynn Town officials have finally been granted a temporary lease to the council-owned Walks Stadium.
Chairman Buster Chapman was awarded the lease in January but had to wait for formal agreements to be signed before gaining access to the ground to begin a programme of stadium improvements.
West Norfolk council has now issued a temporary licence from tomorrow onwards ahead of a full lease being drawn up and signed before the start of the club's first season.
You may also want to watch:
Lynn plan to re-launch the senior football team at step five of the non league pyramid but no formal applications to respective leagues will be lodged until the end of the current campaign.
King's Lynn speedway chief Chapman, however, can press ahead with his plans to upgrade facilities at The Walks ahead of the 2010/11 kick-off.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: City remain top despite Luton defeat
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Arsenal linked with Canaries playmaker
- 3 Farke on young blood and Hatters at boiling point
- 4 Luton Town v Norwich City: Everything you need to know
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City
- 6 FARKE: Full roll call on City's injured stars
- 7 Luton 3-1 City: Tired Canaries come up well short
- 8 Skipp is making his mark at City
- 9 Limited number of tickets left for fans ahead of Wednesday and Forest matches
- 10 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
"It has taken three months to get this far but I can assure fans that behind the scenes we have been busy making plans," he said. "We initially aim to make the public amenities better and our first job will be to demolish the old toilet blocks and replace them with brand new ones, we will also be installing a new ticket office and turnstiles and plan to upgrade the players changing area."
Chapman again appealed for all supporters to rally behind the football club after failing to reach an agreement with the community football scheme on future co-operation. The well established junior coaching programme last week outlined plans to link up with other senior clubs and American colleges, having previously operating from The Walks.
"I would have liked nothing more than to be giving them a helping hand," said Chapman. "But we now have the bizarre situation where the scheme has decided that their future is better off away from the club without our help or support, all I can do is wish them the best of luck with their plans."
West Norfolk councillor Elizabeth Nockolds echoed Chapman's plea to back the new look Linnets.
"We can now look forward to a bright future for King's Lynn Town football club and I would urge all those with the club's best interests at heart to get behind the club for its first season under new ownership," she said. "We regret the football in the community scheme has decided to relocate to new premises. We acknowledge that the new club was prepared to meet the council's requirements to provide a base and an appropriate level of support to the scheme and we are therefore happy to proceed with arrangements for the club take over the management and running of the stadium.
"This represents a significant step towards the rebuilding of King's Lynn's premier football club. The management of the new club will now be able to press ahead with their exciting plans for improvements to the ground which will make The Walks stadium a much more attractive venue for the club's supporters and their families."
Lynn director of football Kevin Boon helped launch the original community scheme and again expressed his disappointment at the recent breakdown in relations between both parties.
"In all honesty it would have been great for me to see the scheme operate alongside the club, as back in 2002 when I originally founded the scheme with John Fincham that was one of our goals," he said. "If we had refused to offer them help or support then I would have fully expected the council to pull out of the bid but obviously they are happy with the effort we have made and now the licence is signed football will be back at The Walks in July. I would also like to say to the children and parents who may be associated with the scheme they will always be welcome at the new club with open arms."