Raphinha and Hernandez help strong Leeds U23s team beat City in PL2
- Credit: Focus Images/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City Under-23s were beaten by an experienced Leeds U23s team featuring first team players including Pablo Hernandez and recent £17million signing Raphinha this afternoon.
The young Canaries sit top of the Division Two table in Premier League Two but suffered their second defeat from their six league games so far as they were beaten 2-0 at Leeds’ training ground.
Ian Poveda tapped in from close range in just the second minute for the hosts but Norwich went close through Tom Dickson-Peters and William Hondermarck in response, with striker Dickson-Peters also seeing an equaliser ruled out for a foul in the build-up.
Hernandez and fellow first teamer Tyler Roberts had combined for the opener, with goalkeeper Kiko Casilla and defender Pascal Struijk also starting the game.
Brazilian winger Raphinha, a recent signing from Rennes, doubled the lead five minutes before the break for Leeds though - with City keeper Jon McCracken and his defence kept busy throughout.
You may also want to watch:
City U23s: McCracken; Vaughan, Omobamidele, Tomkinson, Stewart (Milovanovic 81); Giurgi (Dennis 56), Dronfield, McAlear, Hondermarck (Khumbeni 70); Dickson-Peters, Omotoye. Unused subs: Blair (GK), Nizet
- 1 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 2 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 4 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 6 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 7 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 8 'As good as I've seen him!' - City fans laud Cantwell performance
- 9 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 10 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought