Raphinha and Hernandez help strong Leeds U23s team beat City in PL2
- Credit: Focus Images/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City Under-23s were beaten by an experienced Leeds U23s team featuring first team players including Pablo Hernandez and recent £17million signing Raphinha this afternoon.
The young Canaries sit top of the Division Two table in Premier League Two but suffered their second defeat from their six league games so far as they were beaten 2-0 at Leeds’ training ground.
Ian Poveda tapped in from close range in just the second minute for the hosts but Norwich went close through Tom Dickson-Peters and William Hondermarck in response, with striker Dickson-Peters also seeing an equaliser ruled out for a foul in the build-up.
Hernandez and fellow first teamer Tyler Roberts had combined for the opener, with goalkeeper Kiko Casilla and defender Pascal Struijk also starting the game.
Brazilian winger Raphinha, a recent signing from Rennes, doubled the lead five minutes before the break for Leeds though - with City keeper Jon McCracken and his defence kept busy throughout.
You may also want to watch:
City U23s: McCracken; Vaughan, Omobamidele, Tomkinson, Stewart (Milovanovic 81); Giurgi (Dennis 56), Dronfield, McAlear, Hondermarck (Khumbeni 70); Dickson-Peters, Omotoye. Unused subs: Blair (GK), Nizet
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City
- 2 FARKE: Full roll call on City's injured stars
- 3 Limited number of tickets left for fans ahead of Wednesday and Forest matches
- 4 Through troubled waters to unexpected success - Farke reflects on spell as City boss
- 5 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 6 Di Cunningham: Young talent will not be hindered under Farke and Webber's watch
- 7 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 8 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 9 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 10 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round