“Let’s hope we can build on this result” – Norwich City fans savour Carabao Cup second round win over League One side Charlton Athletic
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
It was far from smooth sailing but Norwich City ensured their name will go into the hat for the Carabao Cup third round draw with a 4-1 win over Charlton Athletic.
The League One side had shocked Carrow Road by taking the lead in just the fifth minute after loose play from Steven Naismith allowed Lee Novak to thump the visitors in front.
Josh Murphy then lashed City level with a low shot from the edge of the box in the 21st minute but the Addicks continued to frustrate Daniel Farke’s team, with the head coach making six changes to his starting line-up following Saturday’s 4-2 Championship loss at Aston Villa.
Murphy then bundled through before striking City in front in the 52nd, with his third goal in two games, and Marley Watkins fired the Canaries 3-1 up in the 74th minute before debutant Tom Trybull put the icing on the cake in front of a crowd of over 12,000.
City now go into Thursday’s draw, being held in China at the farcical time of 4.15am (UK time).
You may also want to watch:
Take a look at some of the best reaction from fans above
• Follow post-match reaction and analysis in our Matchday Live blog at pinkun.com/live
- 1 Aarons suffers shin injury
- 2 Thankless task for makeshift striker Marco in Coventry draw
- 3 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 4 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Sky Blues
- 5 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 6 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 7 Paddy Davitt verdict: Farke and the City curse
- 8 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 9 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 10 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage