“Let’s hope we can build on this result” – Norwich City fans savour Carabao Cup second round win over League One side Charlton Athletic
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
It was far from smooth sailing but Norwich City ensured their name will go into the hat for the Carabao Cup third round draw with a 4-1 win over Charlton Athletic.
The League One side had shocked Carrow Road by taking the lead in just the fifth minute after loose play from Steven Naismith allowed Lee Novak to thump the visitors in front.
Josh Murphy then lashed City level with a low shot from the edge of the box in the 21st minute but the Addicks continued to frustrate Daniel Farke’s team, with the head coach making six changes to his starting line-up following Saturday’s 4-2 Championship loss at Aston Villa.
Murphy then bundled through before striking City in front in the 52nd, with his third goal in two games, and Marley Watkins fired the Canaries 3-1 up in the 74th minute before debutant Tom Trybull put the icing on the cake in front of a crowd of over 12,000.
City now go into Thursday’s draw, being held in China at the farcical time of 4.15am (UK time).
You may also want to watch:
Take a look at some of the best reaction from fans above
• Follow post-match reaction and analysis in our Matchday Live blog at pinkun.com/live
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumour: Boro full-back on the radar
- 2 City forward closing in on Huddersfield loan move
- 3 'We’ll both push each other for that shirt' - City ace's Aarons battle
- 4 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 5 Former Norwich City chief set for Hibs
- 6 'They want the best for me' - Youngster's debt to City for loan chance
- 7 HAVE YOUR SAY: Where will Norwich City finish in the Premier League next season?
- 8 'A great guy' - Tributes to much-loved City fan who travelled home and away
- 9 Is it much ado about nothing for worried Norwich fans?
- 10 Hibs role too good to turn down for ex-City chief