Lewis leaves Canaries
Norwich City goalkeeper Joe Lewis has signed for Peterborough United this morning in a record-breaking deal for the League Two club. The 20-year-old, a product of the Canaries academy, has made the switch to London Road for around £400,000 plus a sell-on clause.
Norwich City goalkeeper Joe Lewis has signed for Peterborough United this morning in a record-breaking deal for the League Two club.
The 20-year-old, a product of the Canaries academy, has made the switch to London Road for around £400,000 plus a sell-on clause.
Lewis has been involved with the City first team squad since the age of 15, but never played a first team game for Canaries.
His only league appearances to date have been with Stockport and Morecambe, during loan spells in 2007.
You may also want to watch:
Now, after returning to Colney following a successful time with the Shrimps, Lewis finds himself behind David Marshall and Matthew Gilks in the Canaries pecking order and has decided to seek first team football with promotion-chasing Posh.
Lewis was unveiled alongside new boss Darren Ferguson at a press conference this morning, and the Posh manager was keen to sing the praises of his new signing.
- 1 Delight for Buendia after Argentina call-up
- 2 'I'd like to think Norwich have their eyes on somebody' - Ashton on striker hunt
- 3 WATCH: In-form City loanee Drmic scores a cracker
- 4 'He's not an ego' - Delia on the man she worships at Norwich City
- 5 Celtic move came too early for Pukki, insists former boss
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Premier League forward in Canaries' sights
- 7 Norwich City ace features in trailer for Euro 2020
- 8 City draw up target list
- 9 City Q&A - Paddy answered your questions
- 10 Why Delia and Michael believe Norwich City can 'change the face of football'
“I feel that you don't get too many opportunities to make signings like this very often and I am delighted to sign such a highly-rated goalkeeper,” Ferguson said. “Joe was outstanding in two matches against us and he has tremendous potential.
“He has great height and presence and I believe he is one of the better goalkeepers in the league. I also feel we have signed one of the most promising goalkeepers in the country.
“The lad still has a lot to learn but if he realises his potential here then we will have a top goalkeeper,” Ferguson told theposh.com
The deal breaks Peterborough's previous transfer record of the £350,000 signing of Martin O'Connor from Walsall in 1996.
Chairman Darragh MacAnthony said he had no problems breaking the transfer record to sign Lewis.
“Joe is a massive talent that will compliment and already outstanding young squad,” he said. “I have no doubt he will be a massive success at Posh as we head towards the Premier League.”
Lewis is expected to go straight into the Posh squad for Saturday's League Two clash with Macclesfield Town at London Road.