Leyton 1, King’s Lynn 2

King's Lynn's joy at reaching the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy was overshadowed last night by the news that manager Tommy Taylor is leaving to join Peterborough United.

FA Trophy second qualifying round

King's Lynn's joy at reaching the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy was overshadowed last night by the news that manager Tommy Taylor is leaving to join Peterborough United.

Lynn were making their first visit to Leyton since October 1987 for the second qualifying round in the FA Trophy, and were hoping to make better progress this time, having lost 1-0 in a replay on their previous visit after a 1-1 draw at Lynn.

Mark Cam turned out for his 150th appearance for the Linnets while Adam Smith fell out of the line-up due to a pulled stomach muscle. Also unavailable on a late call-off was Alex Notman. Returning to the side was Dean West which saw Charlie Defty move to the left-back spot in place of Smith.

You may also want to watch:

Lynn won the toss and set Leyton to face the low November sun.

Matt O'Halloran almost gave Lynn the perfect start when he seized on a loose ball but his powerful shot just cleared the crossbar.

Most Read

However, the lead was not long denied for the Linnets when Mark Warren won the ball which was played through to MICHAEL FREW who rounded the keeper to slot the ball home despite a desperate effort to clear by a defender.

This was after just three minutes of play. Fazakerley broke dangerously on the Leyton right and his hard, low cross caused Marshall problems before he eventually conceded a fruitless corner.

On 15 minutes Mark Camm found O'Halloran, who made ground on the left before passing to Frew, who in turn found Nolan whose flick was deflected for a corner, from which Warren's downward header bounced just wide.

Lynn were looking dangerous on the attack as this time West found Nolan on the right and his driven cross was volleyed just wide by McMann, who was having an influential game in midfield.

Leyton's Thomas tested Marshall with a ground shot which the keeper palmed away. From a free kick taken by Cooper, Nolan got in a shot on the turn but Hasler went down to save the effort.

Lynn again came close when Cooper won a header which found Frew, who in turn found O'Halloran whose fierce shot again forced Hasler into a good save.

Some careful build-up play by the home side gave left-back Soteriou a chance of a shot for Leyton but it went wide. In the home side's next attack Williams, put through by Alderton, had a fierce shot but he could only find the side netting.

On 40 minutes Lynn deservedly went two up when MELTON, taking a fine pass from Frew, rounded a defender to score with aplomb.

As the half drew to a close a long ball caused Marshall a problem as he fumbled and Cooper came to the keeper's rescue, conceding a corner. With McMahon and Melton running the midfield Lynn were well worthy of the half-time score.

The start of the second half Lynn brought on Jack Defty for Matthew Nolan. First action saw McMahon playing Frew who shot on the turn was deflected for a corner.

On 51 minutes a loose ball found its way to Fazakerley who shot from the edge of the area, hit the post with Lynn goalkeeper Marshall stranded.

After some impressive build-up play by Lynn, chiefly involving McMahon, Leyton's number 14, who was on for the injured Honeymore was forced to head over his own bar to relieve the danger. From a corner Defty won a ball in the air to find Frew but the forward placed his effort wide.

At the other end Cooper had to make a timely interception as Leyton made a quick break.

On 66 minutes Lynn brought on Robbie Norris for Michael Frew. Two minutes later O'Halloran had a try from long range but Hasler comfortably held the shot.

McMaahon then picked out Defty with a fine diagonal ball and the big man's header was parried by the Leyton goalkeeper at his

near post.

On 77 minutes the home side cut the deficit when a deep cross from left wing by Manny Williams took the Lynn defence by surprise and FAZKERLEY nipped in to score from close range two set up a nervous finale.

Thomas then tried a long shot for Leyton but it went well wide.

Lynn recovered and resumed the attack with a great cross field ball from McMahon which found O'Halloran, who in turn found Melton but the midfielder's effort was blocked. As time ran out Jack Defty set up O'Halloran but the winger's shot just past the far post. Lynn ended the game in the ascendancy as they progressed to the third qualifying round the draw for which will be made on Monday.

t King's Lynn: Marshall, West, C Defty, Warren, Cooper, Camm, Frew, McMann, Nolan, Melton, O'Hallaron. Subs: J Defty, Norris, Higgs.

t Leyton: Hasler, Thanda, Soteriou, Palmer, Honeyball, Alderton, Fazacklerley, Bajada, Williams, Thomas, Parkyn. Subs: Brady, Morgan, Gracey, Umeh, Lee.

t Referee: Mr M Bampton.

t Attendance: 154.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus