King’s Lynn Town heading to ‘super’ play-off after impressive play-off final win

Celebration time for the Linnets Picture: Chris Lakey

Celebration time for the Linnets Picture: Chris Lakey - Credit: Archant

King’s Lynn Town are one game away from promotion after a commanding 3-0 win over Alvechurch.

Victory in the Southern Premier Central final earned the Linnets a ‘super’ play-off final trip to Warrington on Saturday.

It was Lynn’s twin hitmen, Adam Marriott and Michael Gash who scored the goals which sent Lynn through in front of 1,617 fans. Marriott struck early in both halves, the second from the penalty spot, with Gash adding the third with minutes to go.

It banished the memories of last year’s play-off final when Lynn were beaten by Slough - but they will travel north at the weekend full of confidence after a hugely impressive win.

The early stages were attritional, both sides looking to establish superiority. Gash almost nipped in to claim a long ball forward before keeper Daniel Crane intervened.

You may also want to watch:

Lynn got the good start they craved on 10 minutes and it was typical Marriott - he had possession edge of the area, took a step to his left and rammed a low shot into the far right corner.

Alvechurch responded immediately with some testing pressure, Tom Tonks’ long throws a huge danger - better than a corner for the visitors.

Most Read

Ross Barrows tried his luck from distance - his shot was low and true but straight at visiting keeper Crane.

Marriott almost made it 2-0 after a superb inter-change with Jordan Richards, but his shot - from the same area he scored from seven minutes earlier - this time went the other side of the post.

Chris Henderson went into the ref’s notebook for diving on 30 minutes - although the Lynn man protested his innocence.

Josh March’s flicked header on 38 minutes was straight at Alex Street during a good spell for the visitors.

But Marriott came close to doubling Lynn’s lead when Richards and Frazer Blake-Tracey combined well down the left. Richards cut the ball back to Marriott, but his effort blasted back off the keeper’s body for a corner.

Keeper Crane pulled off a great double save to deny Barrows and then Marriott but then Henderson again went down in the area - this time the referee kept his notebook in his pocket and instead pointed to the penalty spot. Marriott stepped up, sent the keeper the wrong way and Lynn had the start to the second half they wanted.

Gash should have made it three but Kyle Morrison nipped in to deflect his shot for a corner. Lynn were turning the screw and Gash’s looping header forced Crane to stretch high to collect.

There was a scare when Roberts broke down the left, but Street did well to come out quickly and blocked his shot, the ball bouncing off the top of the bar.

Sub Taylor Morrison fired one straight at Street from distance, but it was Lynn in control – and in some style at times.

Lynn only had to keep their nerve - and they did, with a good professional performance, Michael Gash getting a reward for his hard work with a towering header from Clunan’s corner to make it 3-0 in the 87th minute.

It was typical Gash - and his last contribution as he was subbed to great applause.

Lynn: Street, Barrows (Jones 74), Fryatt, McAuley, Blake-Tracy, Richards, Jarvis, Clunan, Henderson (Hawkins 83), Marriott, Gash (Mellors-Blair 88). Subs not used: Parker, Robinson.

Alvechurch: Crane, K Morrison, Foster, Turton (Cook 69), Willets, Carter, Bellis, Tonks (T Morrison 56), Landell (Botfield 56), Roberts, March. Subs not used: Winwood, Price.

Referee: A Ajibola (Dartford)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus