Linnets forced to wait another week
Paddy Davitt King's Lynn's majority shareholder Michael Chinn has threatened to walk away from the debt-ridden Unibond Premier Division club after their attempt to rescind a High Court winding order up over an unpaid �67,000 tax bill was re-scheduled for next Wednesday.
King's Lynn's majority shareholder Michael Chinn has threatened to walk away from the debt-ridden Unibond Premier Division club after their attempt to rescind a High Court winding order up over an unpaid �67,000 tax bill was re-scheduled for next Wednesday.
Chinn confirmed funds had been made available to settle the outstanding amount owed to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs ahead of the Linnets' second High Court date in a week.
Chairman Ken Bobbins was unavailable for comment last night but officials did confirm the club must suffer a second consecutive weekend of postponed fixtures.
You may also want to watch:
Chinn admits Lynn now face an even heavier points' punishment from Unibond League top brass - a move that could force him to walk away along with player/boss Carl Heggs.
The Boston-based businessman plans crisis talks with Heggs today after Lynn's failure to overturn the High Court ruling.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 3 Bushiri completes Eupen loan
- 4 Placheta must kick on at City
- 5 Giannoulis in contention for Boro clash - as City secure work permit
- 6 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 7 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 8 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 9 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 10 'That's my dream' - Giannoulis hopes his style will boost City's promotion hopes
“I'm so fed up with it, honestly,” said Chinn. “The money is sitting there in a bank account. It's �77,000 if you add on the interest and the other charges we incurred. We're ready to pay them and we're now told we can't do anything until next Wednesday.
“I'm tired and I don't know what much more I can do. We've been told by the courts that they can't hear our case until next week but it's like we're in limbo again. Obviously it means missing another weekend of fixtures which could see the league decide to dock us more points.
“I'm hearing it'll be a minimum six - well, if that's the case you might as well stick the club into liquidation.
“Then you'd take ten points and no debt but you buy it back from the liquidator and you stay in the same league.
“As long as you pay all your football creditors which is obviously something we would look to do.”
Chinn revealed Heggs is also considering his future at The Walks after the latest setback.
“I really have had enough and speaking to him he feels the same - that really he's had enough like I have,” said Chinn.
“We're planning to meet on Thursday and I just have to decide if we can stick in there and take it forward again. Right now I don't feel like doing that.
“If I leave then I'm pretty sure Carl would leave and vice versa. I've been here there and everywhere trying to deal with issues affecting my other businesses today - driving 700, 800 miles - and I don't need this hassle.
“I'll sleep on it and maybe things will look differently but my gut feeling is I've just about had enough.”
The EDP understands Heggs wants assurances over unpaid wages to his senior playing squad who have now been told that they are free to find other clubs.
“I couldn't make the meeting with the players on Tuesday because of work commitments,” said Chinn.
“But I spoke to Carl on that night and I told him to pass on from me the message everything is sorted, because I genuinely thought it was.
“The lads have not been paid but that is something I'll do out of my own pocket.”
Former finance director David Handley last night renewed his offer to bail out the ailing Norfolk club in an open letter to fans on the club's official site.
Members of Handley's original consortium were unable to reach agreement with Bobbins and the current board following talks last weekend.
“Mr Chinn is certainly doing something even to get that extension from the court or it would have been finished,” he said. “I hope the outcome is good and the club moves forward and learns from this cliff hanger.
“If the worst outcome should happen, then, I have a plan in place for King's Lynn should Mr Chinn fail. You may ask why don't you help Mr Chinn and the answer is, this is his show and he has made sure of that until an outcome is permanent.
“Even though Michael Chinn and myself have had our differences I wish him well on his latest efforts and hope the club gets the good news it deserves.
“If not, as I said I have a genuine plan in place.”