Linnets lose to Workington

King's Lynn 1, Workington 3: There was no glorious ending to the Linnets' home programme as they suffered another league reverse. The sides had already met twice this season in two pulsating encounters in Cumberland.

King's Lynn 1, Workington 3

THERE was no glorious ending to the Linnets' home programme as they suffered another league reverse.

The sides had already met twice this season in two pulsating encounters in Cumberland. Workington were held 1-1 in the league but went through in an exciting FA Trophy tie by the odd goal in seven.

Manager Keith Webb made two changes from the side beaten at Hinckley on Monday. Scott Mitchell and Charlie Defty came in for Bradley Thomas and Ross Kelly. Gregg Crane kept the No 5 shirt.

The Defty brothers combined to set Joachim away on the right but his penetrating cross was headed away by a Workington defender as Mitchell moved in.

The Deftys again combined for Lynn to set up Johnson but the Lynn skipper's cross was blocked by a visiting defender. Workington now forced their second corner, the ball was cleared out to Hardman who returned the ball into the box where it was headed behind by an attacker for a goal-kick.

Most Read

Early play had seen both sides have trouble controlling the ball on the hard pitch in a blustery wind.

On 15 minutes a Jack Defty knock down to Joachim saw him lay the ball off to Mitchell who powered a shot over the bar.

Mark Camm had to leave the field with a facial injury which required lengthy treatment, likewise Darren Edmundson for Workington who eventually had to be substituted by Callum Ruttledge in the 22nd minute.

Jack Defty, Mitchell and Joachim combined to set up Jack Defty but the big Lynn centre forward headed wide when unmarked.

A handball by Gregg Crane led to Anthony Wright firing a shot from 25 yards past the wall, but Scott Howie saved well.

On 35 minutes a defensive error by Crane let in Workington's ANDY COOK, on loan from Carlisle United, to score with a hard low drive from 12 yards.

Charlie Defty then had to be alert to head back to the Lynn keeper as Workington pressed again. Crane for Lynn fired in a low diagonal ball from the left flank but Joachim's back header was well wide. Andy Johnson then worked a shooting chance for Lynn but fired just over the bar.

Workington ended the half on the attack when a deep cross from Cook caused Graham to head behind, taken by Anthony Wright. The ball came out of the box for Reds' substitute Ruttledge to shoot wide.

Half time King's Lynn 0, Workington 1.

Andrew Fiske replaced skipper Andrew Johnson who had succumbed to an injury. For Lynn Scott Mitchell set Julian Joachim racing away but the Lynn forward was pulled up by an off-side flag. Collin's long, wind-assisted kick tested Howey in the Lynn goal.

On 55 minutes the Reds' ent further ahead. Following a good break from mid-field Jonny Wright played in Cook shot low under Howey.

Lynn responded, winning a free-kick taken by Smith who found Joachim. He laid the ball off to Jack Defty for the Lynn centre forward's shot to be deflected for a corner.

The flag kick taken by Smith was blocked out to Fiske who shot hard and low but again the effort was blocked.

A long-kick down the field by Howey was picked up by Joachim who laid the ball off to Jack Defty who fired just over.

For Lynn, Scott Mitchell chased a loose ball to the line and did well to put in a telling cross only for keeper Adam Collin to make a good catch.

From a free-kick taken by Workington's Dean Gordon the ball came back to the Reds' player who found Hardman who in turn crossed low for Ruttledge to drive home from close range.

Lynn brought on Dwyer to replace Mitchell, he was immediately into the action to force a corner, Lynn's second of the game. But when the ball broke out to Fiske he shot well wide.

Lynn forced their fourth corner taken by Smith, the ball going to Joachim who played in Defty who crossed for Dominic Dwyer who challenged Collin who dropped the ball to give Fiske a chance from close range from which the keeper recovered to make a superb block with his body.

However when the ball was again played into the box this time the keep blotted his copy book and spilled the ball which fell for Jack Defty to tap in from close range after 81 minutes.

Lynn applied some belated pressure with a cross from Dwyer allowing Camm to have a shot which was blocked and Defty won a race with the Red defenders. He pulled the ball back but it was just behind the on rushing Joachim. Dwyer's follow-up was then blocked.

Following a Crane free-kick Jack Defty headed wide.

King's Lynn: Howie, Graham, Smith, Peters, Crane, Camm, Charlie Defty, Johnson (Captain), Jack Defty, Joachim, Mitchell. Subs: Fisk, Dwyer, Renton, Murray.

Workington: Collin, Langford, Anthony Wright, Gordon, Edmonson, McLuckie, Robinson, Hopper (Captain), Jonny Wright, Cook, Hardman. Subs: Ruttledge, Arnison, Roundtree, Main

Referee: G C Law. Att: 884.