Linnets manage a draw in injury time

Chippenham Town 1, King's Lynn 1: With leading goal scorer Danny Bloomfield having joined Histon during the week - for a sizeable transfer fee - Lynn brought in Shaun Carey to the starting line up with Jack Defty staying up front.

Chippenham Town 1, King's Lynn 1

With leading goal scorer Danny Bloomfield having joined Histon during the week - for a sizeable transfer fee - Lynn brought in Shaun Carey to the starting line up with Jack Defty staying up front.

This match featuring the league's second and third sides was a must-win situation for the Linnets being some five points behind their hosts who also have a game in hand.

Chippenham dominated the opening minutes and a couple of dangerous crosses had to be headed clear by Cooper.

You may also want to watch:

The hosts' first corner, after nine minutes, was put out for a second flag-kick before Lynn cleared upfield.

Defty tried to force his way through the middle, but was crowded out before McMahon and then Defty had shots blocked in front of goal.

Most Read

Carey gave the ball away twice in as many minutes, causing problems, but Lynn's defenders held the subsequent attacks at bay before putting the home side under pressure in their own box. Chippenham then had a shot just wide as the match swung end to end.

Defty's header was put out for a fruitless Lynn corner after 20 minutes and then he was shut out when heading for goal.

Nolan was cautioned for what was deemed a high tackle, the injured party quickly recovering.

A good cross from West was narrowly missed by Defty and Nolan before a Defty pass was cut out at the last moment in front of Nolan before a backheel by Nolan was fired wide by Anselin.

Camm had to be alert after 40 minutes when clearing from in front of his own goal before a fine Lynn move ended with McMahon shooting narrowly wide.

Just before half time, Nolan netted, but the assistant referee raised his flag, ruling Defty offside - despite him running back away from the goal and in no way interfering with play.

A slip by West gave Chippenham an opportunity at the start of the second half but substitute Allison slipped over and the chance was gone. Lynn attackers then caused problems in the home goal mouth before the ball was eventually hit to safety.

On 60 minutes a fine effort by Nolan stretched home keeper Perrin who just managed to push the ball out for a corner. Both sides' midfield and defences were now controlling the game with actual scoring situations at a premium but the contest was nevertheless full of interest.

Perrin again had to go full length to stop a Harvey header in front of goal and if anything Lynn were now beginning to have the better of play. A quick break by Allison did give Lynn problems but Benstead saved brilliantly from the resultant header.

With 10 minutes to go Chippenham broke the deadlock when another dash and cross from Allison found GILROY's head and into the Lynn net.

Harvey replied quickly with another header which Perrin again went down to save before Heath-Preston replaced Carey. Lynn besieged the home side for the final minutes and in the second minute of injury time Dean WEST was up with his attack for a corner and after the ball was headed around the goal area he drove the ball home for a deserved equalizer

t Chippenham: Perrin, Charity, Stanley, Adams, McEntegart, Badman, Harvey, Herring, Gilroy, Griffin, Wheeler. Subs: Allison, Rawlins, Jeffreys, Jones, Seavill.

t King's Lynn: Benstead, West, Smith, McMahon, Cooper, Camm, Defty, Anselin, Nolan, Harvey, Carey. Subs: Hammond, Jones, Heath-Preston, Fell, O'Haloran.

t Attendance: 558

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus