Liverpool star facing fitness battle ahead of Norwich City’s trip to Anfield
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Norwich City could face a Liverpool side without Xherdan Shaqiri in the opening game of the new Premier League season.
The Swiss striker is facing a battle to be ready after manager Jurgen Klopp revealed he would be sidelined for "a while".
Shaqiri is still carrying a calf injury sustained on international duty with Switzerland in their Nations League defeat to England on June 9.
The former Stoke player returned to the club's Melwood training ground this week and assessment by medical staff has given Klopp a headache as he steps up his pre-season preparations.
"Shaq is still injured from the national team and it will take a while until he is in again," Klopp told liverpoolfc.com.
You may also want to watch:
"He has a tear in his calf, so he will not be involved for a while."
His current absence leaves Klopp short in attacking options with the returns of Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah (Africa Cup of Nations) and Roberto Firmino (Copa America) all delayed due to their involvement in international tournaments this summer.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
Champions League hero Divock Origi - now in the final year of his contract with a new deal offered but not yet signed - is the manager's only senior forward after the departure of Daniel Sturridge.
Youngster Rhian Brewster will be part of the first-team squad full-time this season after recovering from serious ankle and knee injuries while Harry Wilson, who impressed on loan at Derby, will get a chance in pre-season.