Lowestoft quick to rediscover winning form
Lowestoft Town 3, Ilford 1Lowestoft Town swiftly put their FA Cup disappointments behind them last night by progressing to the third round of the Ryman League Cup.
Lowestoft Town 3, Ilford 1
Lowestoft Town swiftly put their FA Cup disappointments behind them last night by progressing to the third round of the Ryman League Cup.
The Trawler Boys were the first to threaten when, from a Jamie Godbold corner, Matt Nolan's header came back out off the crossbar.
It was against the run of play when Ilford moved ahead in the 27th minute. There seemed little danger as the ball was played forward but the Lowestoft defence hesitated, allowing Anton Dwyer to run through and shoot past Andy Reynolds.
Lowestoft were behind for only eight minutes. Scott Mitchell headed down to Gary McGee, whose first shot was blocked by a defender but broke back for him to drill into the net at the second attempt.
Lowestoft came out for the second period in a much more determined mood and swiftly moved ahead when Dale Cockrill burst into the area. Although keeper Rob Budd blocked his first shot the ball bounced back for him to blast into the empty net.
- 1 Smith takeaways: Reading reflections, possession frustrations and Cantwell absence
- 2 'Take that and run' - City fans react to Reading point
- 3 ROYALS 1 CANARIES 1 - Key moments, ratings and stats
- 4 Draw against 'talented' Norwich a sign of how far Reading have come - Ince
- 5 City skipper wants more after opening goal account
- 6 Gibbs is one of a kind in City midfield mix
- 7 Remember when Norwich City steamrolled Carlisle in 1971?
- 8 'Two of them were waiting in the tunnel' - Bellamy on life at Norwich
- 9 Bring the noise again - Deano urges City fans
- 10 Lucky 13 for City as Hanley latest to ease goalscoring burden
Ilford hopes of saving the tie disappeared in the 76th minute with Harry Chalk sent off for a second yellow card. And Lowestoft sealed their win with a third goal in the 84th minute - Godbold lashing in off the underside of the bar from 25 yards.
Lowestoft: Reynolds, Plaskett, Smith, Dale Cockrill, Crane, Halliday, Godbold (Sub Bussens 85), Fisk, Nolan (Sub King 82), McGee, Mitchell, Subs (not used) Darren Cockrill, Holt, Potter.
Ilford: Budd, Pike, Trice, Chalk, Scott, Russell, Appiah (Sub McCarthy 87), Kilapi, Hewitt, Dwyer (Sub Hughes 84), Sparks (Sub Gallen 69), subs (not used) Kabuye, Dawson
Man of the Match: Scott Mitchell (Lowestoft).