Lowestoft see off Waltham Forest
Waltham Forest 1, Lowestoft Town 2: In-form Lowestoft Town moved up to second place in the Rymans League Division One North table after a hard-fought away victory last night.
Waltham Forest 1 Lowestoft Town 2
In-form Lowestoft Town moved up to second place in the Rymans League Division One North table after a hard-fought away victory last night.
The Blues were two up at the break thanks to goals from Matt Nolan (penalty) and Scott Mitchell, but Forest hit back near the end to set up a nervous final few minutes.
But the visitors held firm for another three points and are now just four points behind leaders Great Wakering with five games in hand.
You may also want to watch:
Last night's match, played at Ilford's Cricklefield Stadium, took time to get going, with chances few at far between at both ends.
Lowestoft went close when Gary McGhee saw his shot deflected wide from Adam Smith's pass and then Gary Holt set up Jamie Godbold, whose effort was blocked by Tanner.
- 1 Webber believes City will be better prepared for top flight if promotion can be secured
- 2 Casualty list at City is one for the fiction writers
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
- 4 Late McCracken penalty save ensures City U23s draw with Burnley
- 5 Former City keeper signs for Coventry ahead of Carrow Road clash
- 6 Farke's take on Krul and Pukki body blows
- 7 Main man Tettey has still got it
- 8 Get behind McGovern urges Farke
- 9 STARTING XIs: Three changes and very young bench for injury-hit City against Coventry
- 10 Matchday Live: City trying to extend unbeaten run to 10 games as they face Coventry
The keeper then produced a diving save to deny Mitchell before the Blues took the lead on 37 minutes.
Andrew Fisk pounced on a poor clearance to run through on goal, only to be brought down by Ian Walsh, and Nolan converted from the spot.
Just five minutes later Lowestoft were 2-0 up, with Nolan being brought down 25 yards out and Mitchell firing home the resultant free-kick in impressive fashion.
Waltham Forest then had an excellent chance to reduce the arrears when Pedro Knight was put through but keeper Andy Reynolds dived bravely at his feet to snuff out the danger.
The second half also started slowly before McGhee had a shot saved. The Blues were then grateful to Matt Potter, who made a fine goalline clearance to prevent the home side from reducing the arrears.
Seven minutes from time McGhee had a wonderful chance to make the points absolutely safe when he was put through but his effort was off target - and Waltham Forest were quick to take advantage.
In virtually their next attack they won a corner - and when the ball came over Victor Boyle-Rennes was on hand to head the ball home.
That left to a frantic last five minutes but the visitors held on and have now won 10 of their 13 league matches this season, while conceding just seven goals.
They will be hoping to keep up the good work with a home game coming up against Leyton on Saturday.
Lowestoft Town: Reynolds, Plaskett, Smith, Holt, Potter, Halliday, Godbold (Bussens 88), Fisk, Nolan (King 69), McGhee (Hilton 89), Mitchell. Subs not used: Hunn, Dale Cockrill.