Lupoli in exit to Blades
David Cuffley Italian striker Arturo Lupoli's exit from Norwich City became the final piece of business conducted on a hectic transfer deadline day at Carrow Road.Lupoli's season-long loan from Fiorentina has been terminated early after the agreement of all parties, and he has now joined Sheffield United on loan for the rest of the season.
Italian striker Arturo Lupoli's exit from Norwich City became the final piece of business conducted on a hectic transfer deadline day at Carrow Road.
Lupoli's season-long loan from Fiorentina has been terminated early after the agreement of all parties, and he has now joined Sheffield United on loan for the rest of the season.
The 21-year-old forward signed for City in July and scored five times in 20 appearances, but has started just three first team games since mid-September.
His departure rounded off a frenetic day of comings and goings, with Rangers midfielder Alan Gow and Fulham's Australian defender Adrian Leijer joining manager Bryan Gunn's previous loan captures, Celtic striker Chris Killen and Sheffield United winger David Carney, and Dartford striker Cody McDonald arriving for an undisclosed fee.
Leijer's deal was effectively a swap with defender Elliott Omozusi returning to Fulham, his season-long loan deal cancelled early.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Placheta poised for Championship loan move
- 2 So it begins again - City hoping for winning start in opening friendly at Dereham Town
- 3 'Seriously special' - City fans rave over new home kit
- 4 Norwich City unveil their new home kit
- 5 City gem Aarons advised not to follow the money
- 6 New Norwich City deal will allow pre-match Carrow Road light shows
- 7 Anglian Home Improvements to become Barclay Stand sponsors
- 8 City's first home game selected for TV coverage
- 9 NCFC LIVE: Canaries begin pre-season with Dereham Town trip
- 10 Teemu Pukki's future: The inside track from Finland
Gunn told the club's official website Lupoli had become frustrated by his lack of first team football.
He said: “We wish Arturo all the best. He's been frustrated with the lack of chances he has had to start games and we had a chat last week and discussed the options which were suitable for him.
“He's been a hero among City fans, with the goals he has scored for us and when he ran up to them after his goal at Charlton. I know he's been frustrated with the lack of chances but after we signed Chris Killen and Alan Gow, he now feels further down the pecking order and we wish him well for the future.”
Lupoli began his career at Parma and has had previous spells in England with Arsenal and Derby. His current club, Fiorentina, loaned him to Serie B club Treviso before he joined Norwich as one of former boss Glenn Roeder's summer signings.
The Blades have confirmed that they have stepped in to take him on loan from Fiorentina.
Omozusi made 24 appearances for City but has not figured in the senior squad since Gunn took over from Roeder.