Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries join the hunt for Charlton striker
- Credit: PA
Norwich City have been linked with a move for Charlton Athletic striker Macauley Bonne.
The 24-year-old is reportedly available this summer as the Addicks continue to fight financial hardship that has resulted in another transfer embargo for the London club.
Bonne has netted 11 goals in the Championship this season but was unable to prevent Lee Bowyer’s side from relegation.
The Sun report that City are ‘monitoring’ the striker’s situation - with Fulham, Cardiff City, Burnley and Derby also rumoured to have shown interest in the Zimbabwean international.
Ipswich born Bonne was actually in City’s academy in 2009, joining from rivals Ipswich Town. He went onto join Colchester United where he made his senior debut.
You may also want to watch:
It was with Leyton Orient where his career really took off, scoring 45 goals in 91 games before sealing a move to Charlton. Bowyer has also deployed him as a right-winger, but it’s as a striker where he’s made the most impact.
Cardiff and Fulham have shown the strongest interest in the forward, according to the report, with the Addicks asking for a £1 million fee for their asset.
- 1 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 MATCHDAY LIVE: Can Norwich City complete the double over Cardiff?
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 6 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 7 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 8 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 Connor Southwell: Can McLean solve City’s number 10 conundrum?
Bowyer has already lost striker Lyle Taylor, who refused to play post-lockdown as he edges closer to securing a move away from the club.
VERDICT: An interesting rumour, given the age profile and fee would make sense to the Canaries - however, there is usually a reason to be sceptical if a player is linked with several clubs.
As the transfer window officially opens today, agents will ramp up their efforts to get their clients a move and Bonne may be keen to remain in the Championship after impressing in his debut season at this level.
City currently have three first-team strikers on their books in Teemu Pukki, Josip Drmic and Adam Idah - although Pukki has been linked with a move to Turkish outfit Besiktas.
City boss Daniel Farke reaffirmed his desire to retain the Finn’s services ahead of a fresh Championship season, but Bonne could be a credible alternative should they decide to refresh their attacking options.