Mad Moose 3, Norman Wanderers Reserves 1

For both sides it was the game that could decide whether promotion could be achieved this year. Mad Moose currently sitting top of the league and Norman Wanderers Reserves in second, with nothing but goal difference separating the two teams.

In the last game the Mad Moose gave their best performance of the season and came away triumphant with a 2-0 win.

The Mad Moose lined up strong, however missing key players Darren Hills and Bram Goodwin-Wright, who between them had been involved in over 75% of the Mad Moose goals this season it was not likely to be a goal fest. Norman Wanderers were also missing key players, with late call offs from their main striker and centre back.

Norman Wanderers kicked the game off, and instantly demonstrated their intentions with a move down the left wing putting immediate pressure on the Mad Moose defence however with no prevail.

The first 10 minutes saw both teams try to play the game as it should, with both teams putting together passing moves to create chances.

You may also want to watch:

In the 13th minute came the opening goal when a Norman defender was adjudged to handle the ball in the box by referee Sean Crisp. Tom Swabey stepped up to the spot and confidently placed the ball into the side of the net to put the Moose in the lead early.

Tom Swabey doubled the lead in the 29th minute when he picked the ball up just outside the box, noticing the keeper was slightly off his line Tom curled the ball into the top corner, giving the keeper no chance. 2-0 to the Mad Moose.

Most Read

With 10 minutes to go Norman got one back, the Moose unable to clear their lines saw a strong Norman attack, the left winger squared the ball to the Norman number 10 who calmly slotted the ball home in the bottom corner giving Matt Bevan in the Mad Moose goal no chance.

At half-time by no means was the game decided, Mad Moose had created several chances however Norman still looked threatening.

It took just 10 minutes into the second half for Norman to have their chance to get the leveller, referee Sean Crisp awarded the second penalty of the game, this time to Norman when Jon O’Shea took down the Norman forward.

After saving a penalty last week Mad Moose keeper Matt Bevan was confident he could do the same. The Norman penalty was hit well by the Norman number 10 however Matt Bevan saved well to his right clearing the ball and keeping the lead for the Mad Moose.

The next 25 minutes saw some fantastic football from both teams, however referee Sean Crisp made several controversial decisions against both teams, causing a loss of momentum and Norman losing their direction receiving two yellow cards for no apparent reason.

In the 80th minute Fionn Goodwin-Wright won possession again for the Moose in an attacking position, charging towards the box to then play a perfect ball across goal to Chris Goodwin who struck the ball first time into the far bottom corner. 3-1 to the Mad Moose.

The game was still not over, as just one minute following the Mad Moose goal referee Sean Crisp awarded the game’s third penalty, again to Norman Wanderers when Jon O’Shea again brought down the Norman forward just into the box.

Norman changing their penalty taker again were unable to convert from the spot as the forward hit the ball just wide of the post to keep the game at 3-1 to Mad Moose and this is how the game remained.

A competitive game with the stronger side coming out on top, however Norman having missed two penalties will feel they could have got a result. Next week sees the Mad Moose against fellow title rivals Riverside Rovers in the fight for top spot at Rackheath Village hall.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus