Maddison would join an elite Canaries club if he earns England U21 cap
- Credit: Getty Images
James Maddison could soon be the newest member of an elite group of Norwich City players if he wins his first England Under-21 cap on Friday.
Just 16 Canaries players have previously represented the Young Lions at U21 level, the most recent being on-loan goalkeeper Angus Gunn, who has won three of his nine caps while with the Canaries.
Jacob Murphy also enjoyed a spurt of six caps earlier this year, just before becoming too old for the age-group and going on to join Newcastle in a deal worth around £11million with his profile at its peak.
Nathan Redmond is the player to have won the most England U21 caps while a Norwich player though, with all but three of his impressive haul of 38 caps being earned while he was a Canaries asset.
Just two players – James Milner (46) and Nathaniel Chalobah (40) – have won more caps at U21 level for England and only three – Alan Shearer, Francis Jeffers (13) and Saido Berahino (11) – have scored more than Redmond’s 10 goals.
You may also want to watch:
Chris Sutton picked up 13 caps in 1993 and 1994, scoring once, and Kevin Reeves was another striker to be capped at U21 level, nine times.
Dave Watson (1980-81) and Darren Eadie (1994-98) both won seven caps as Norwich players, with defender Watson going on to make 12 senior appearances and winger Eadie narrowly missing out on full recognition due to his knee problems.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 2 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 3 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 4 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 5 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 6 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 7 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 8 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 9 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 10 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
Justin Fashanu won six caps in the early 1980s, while Dale Gordon and Robert Rosario (1987), Tim Sherwood (1993), Daryl Sutch (1992-93) and goalkeeper Andy Marshall (1995-97) were all capped on four occasions.
In the mid-1980s Louis Donowa (three) and keeper Chris Woods (one) also won U21 caps, while midfielder Lee Marshall made a late appearance as a substitute against France in 1999.
Joe Lewis earned his first U21 call-up when he was still a Norwich player but won his two caps after he had joined Peterborough in 2008, while more recently Josh Murphy and Harry Toffolo have featured at U20 level.
Maddison may have to be patient, joining the squad for the first time ahead of an important qualifier in Ukraine (4pm), but at 20 years old he has time on his side.