Magpies are not giving up on third spot

RIDGEONS LEAGUE: Dereham gave themselves an outside chance of finishing third in the Premier Division as they cruised to a 4-0 win against second-placed CRC on Saturday.

Dereham gave themselves an outside chance of finishing third in the Premier Division as they cruised to a

4-0 win against second-placed CRC on Saturday.

Having suffered defeat in the reverse fixture earlier in the season, Dereham were clearly in the mood for revenge at Aldiss Park.

The Magpies went ahead when Nicky Howell raced clear on the break and coolly planted the ball home.

Dereham registered their 100th goal of the season to double their lead when Ollie Willis weaved his way past three players before lifting the ball into the net on 34 minutes.

And it was 3-0 before half-time as Danny Beaumont scored from the spot after Howell had been upended in the box.

Most Read

Simon Mowbray headed in Dereham's fourth in the 62nd minute to complete the scoring.

Dereham now have two games left to claw back the five-point deficit on Needham Market, who stand third with one game left to play, although the Magpies have goal difference in their favour.

Wroxham's hopes of third spot all but evaporated following a 2-0 defeat at home to Mildenhall.

The Yachtsmen missed some gilt-edged chances to take the lead and were made to pay as Mildenhall won the game in the final 10 minutes.

Duncan McAnally brought down Owen Painter in the box and Painter got up to despatch the penalty. Wroxham went all-out for the equaliser, but instead conceded a second when John Sands netted.

Kirkley & Pakefield also have a chance of overtaking Needham on goal difference after they won 3-0 at bottom club Haverhill.

It took just 75 seconds for the visitors to establish a lead, when Liam Harvey-Cooper latched on to Justin Fox's through ball to score.

K&P then had to wait until the 64th minute to double their lead, when Jordan Blythe headed in a Fox free-kick.

Robert Woodcock made it three from the penalty spot to complete a comfortable afternoon for the visitors.

Wisbech moved away from potential trouble at the bottom with a convincing 4-1 win at home to Felixstowe.

The visitors had taken the lead from the penalty spot, but Wisbech pulled level when Billy Smith's effort drifted into the net on 31 minutes.

Three minutes later Stuart Ablett took advantage of the Felixstowe keeper's missed clearance to make it

2-0 and Ablett then lobbed the keeper before half-time to establish a 3-1 lead.

Kieran Doherty sealed the win from the penalty spot 10 minutes from time.

King's Lynn Reserves put some distance between themselves and Woodbridge with a 2-1 success.

Norwich United's hopes of climbing out of the relegation zone took a nosedive with a 2-1 defeat at home to Needham Market.

Champions Lowestoft showed no signs of taking their foot off the pedal with a 5-2 mauling of Wivenhoe.

Ali McKenna notched a first half double before Reece Hunn added a third after the break.

Wivenhoe pulled two goals back, but Lowestoft reacted to the wake-up call as Jamie Stokeld marked his 500th appearance with a goal from the penalty spot. Damien Hilton then added the fifth.

In the First Division, Gorleston were beaten 1-0 at home by Newmarket, ensuring the title for the visitors.

Great Yarmouth won 2-1 at Stowmarket with goals from Toby Gorbould and Scott Woodcock, but there were defeats on the road for Fakenham, Downham and Diss.