Magpies on song in FA Cup victory

ROUND-UP: Dereham saw off fellow Ridgeons Premier rivals Wroxham 3-0 in the Preliminary Round of the FA Cup as Kirkley & Pakefield and Mildenhall kept the league flag flying.

Dereham saw off fellow Ridgeons Premier rivals Wroxham 3-0 in the Preliminary Round of the FA Cup as Kirkley & Pakefield and Mildenhall kept the league flag flying.

Elsewhere, Gorleston were forced into a replay but Yarmouth, Wisbech and Norwich United were all knocked out.

At Aldiss Park, the Magpies had the better chances in the first period and led 1-0 at half-time.

In the 22nd minute Wroxham keeper Phil Smith flapped at a corner from Craig Terrington, the ball hitting Danny Beaumont at the far post and went in. Danny Self cleared an effort from Magpies' skipper Adam Gusterson off the line.

At the start of the second half Wroxham piled on the pressure and had two shots cleared off the line, Paul Cook heading against the bar.

But Dereham weathered the storm and after 81 minutes man of the match Stuart Williams guided home a Beaumont corner from close range. Simon Mowberry set up Beaumont to make the tie safe, the striker's ninth goal of the season.

Most Read

Dereham visit Lowestoft in the next round on September 12. The Blues beat Yarmouth 3-0 at Crown Meadow (see opposite page).

Injury-hit Norwich United went out to a late goal at home to Long Buckby. Dan Chilton's 76th minute goal proved enough to sink United.

Kirkley & Pakefield continued their impressive start to the season with a 4-0 win over visitors Cogenhoe to set up an away tie with either Soham or St Ives. After only four minutes midfielder Ian Dawson scored with a 30-yard volley.

Keeper Rob Woodcock, yet to concede at home this season, set up the second with a quick clearance to Stone who teed up Russell Stock for his first home goal since his signing from Lowestoft.

Substitute Scott Manning copied Dawson's opener and an impressive team display ended with sub Rory French chipping the keeper.

John Sands scored twice as Mildenhall eventually eased into the first qualifying round at the expense of visiting St Neots.

After a goalless first half Ryan Foster curled the hosts into the lead before Sands took centre stage to secure Mildenhall's passage through.

St Neots fired wide after an effort was blocked on the line then with 20 minutes remaining Partridge's low cross was converted by Sands, who fired a second in time added on. Long Buckby away is their reward.

If Gorleston, who drew 1-1 at home to Northampton Spencer, can win their replay tomorrow, they will be away to either Rothwell Corinthians or Godmanchester in the next round.

Wisbech were beaten 4-0 at Needham Market.

In the league, King's Lynn Reserves visited Walsham-le-Willows in the Premier Division and suffered a 5-1 defeat. Lynn's goal was again scored by Nelson Moreira. In goal for the home side was former Lynn keeper Duncan McAnally, brother of the Linnets' Ally McAnally.

Diss went to the top of the First Division by winning 3-2 at Cornard, who lost their 100pc record.

The Tangerines took the lead in the 33rd minute when a shot from Mark Shadrack was charged down and Jason Hunt put the rebound in from the edge of the penalty area.

George Watts-Sturrock's shot made it 2-0 and in the 77th minute shot, he scored his fifth goal of the season.

After an 86th minute disputed free-kick was curled into the net by Simon Hyde, Diss keeper Matty Hill protested so strongly that he was sent off. Jason Hunt went in goal and was unable to stop Cornard making 3-2 in the 89th minute.

Swaffham won 2 -0 at home to Long Melford. In the 35th minute good aerial combination work saw Richard Cornwall head away from a defender and Stuart Seales nod the ball over the goalkeeper. Sub Kyle Plumb scored in the 83rd minute.

There were exceptional performances from Lewis Hemeter and Andrew Hunter.

The only disappointing part of the afternoon was the size of the crowd.

Thetford lost 2-1 at Stowmarket while injury-hit Fakenham remain without a point after a 1-0 home defeat by Whitton, Dean Cooper scoring after 16 minutes.

With foward Mark Betts sidelined by injury, striker Karl Pask was ruled out of the second half after turning an ankle.

The result left the Ghosts, wooden spoonists last season, bottom of the table again.