United defender Harry Maguire set to miss City clash through injury
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Manchester United defender Harry Maguire has been ruled out of this weekend’s Premier League fixture with Norwich City after suffering a hip injury.
That's according to the Telegraph, who report that Maguire is set to spend a significant spell on the sidelines in another injury setback for United.
He pulled up during the goalless draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers in the FA Cup on Saturday and has reportedly suffered a torn hip muscle. United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was set to substitute the defender, who insisted he could carry on.
That decision appears to have aggravated the injury, leading to a sustained spell in the treatment room for the former Leicester City defender. As he left the pitch at Molineux on Saturday, it was clear to see the defender was in some discomfort and not walking freely.
Asked about the severity of the injury suffered by Maguire, the United boss said: "We don't know - it's not going to be a long, long, long-term one. So I don't think he will ready for the weekend but let's see."
You may also want to watch:
Maguire was absent for United's Carabao Cup semi-final against local rivals Manchester City, with Phil Jones partnering Victor Lindelof in central defence during the 3-1 defeat on Tuesday evening. The former suffered cramp in the closing stages of that fixture but is expected to be fully fit this weekend.
Whilst the length of time he'll spend out of action is unknown, Maguire is set to be a high-profile absentee for the Canaries trip to Old Trafford on Saturday.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 3 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 4 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 5 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 6 Placheta must kick on at City
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Bushiri close to Eupen loan
- 8 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 9 Chris Goreham: The importance of Hugill and home schooling
- 10 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
The England international joins Paul Pogba, who is recovering from an ankle operation, and Scott McTominay on the sidelines as United's injury woes worsen. United are already facing defensive injury issues, as both Axel Tuanzebe and Eric Bailly are out, while Chris Smalling is on loan at Roma.
Maguire joined the Red Devils from Leicester City in August for a fee reported to have been in excess of £80m, the highest ever paid for a central defender. He has been ever-present for Solskjaer's men this season but has failed to score.
United targeted defenders during the last transfer window after concerns about the strength of their backline, with Maguire their main signing of the window.
City were beaten 3-1 by Solskjaer's men at Carrow Road in October, with McTominay, Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial all on the scoresheet.