Marlborough gain cup revenge

Despite it being by far the coldest morning of the season, almost all scheduled fixtures took place.

The final two games in the first round of the League Cup were played and saw holders Marlborough gain revenge over a North Walsham side that had beaten them in the County Cup, by winning 3-0. Dan Arden scored twice, his first goals for over two years, but his Vale Longo side went down to two late Bayer FC goals who progressed to the next round with a 3-2 victory.

In the Premier Division, Acle Rangers missed the chance to go to the top as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Fiveways. Aylsham Sunday went behind at Norwich Busmen, but stormed back to win 4-1 and Dog House built on last weeks cup win by beating Sprowston Rovers 4-1

Possibly the biggest game of the day was in 1A, where Norman Wanderers travelled to leaders Sprowston Sunday and came away with a 2-2 draw, Josh Halliday and Kieran Patel scored for the home side whilst Warren Preston and Tom Amis replied for Normans. Windmill Wanderers had a comfortable 11-2 win (Gary Walsh 4, Lucas Kent 2, Nathan Joy 2, Gavin Bland, Jordan Scotter, Major Thornton) at home to Horsford United Sunday and are in second spot. The run-in to the end of the season in this division should prove very interesting indeed. Castlegate moved up to fourth after a 4-2 home win over Hockering, whilst Aslacton came from 3-1 down with four minutes to go, to win 4-3 at DCS Rapid. Ed Lake scored twice for Aslacton whilst there was a debut goal for Dean Mortimer.

In 1B, St Faiths returned to the top of the table after winning 5-3 (Grant Sleight 2, Jody Peacher 2, Carl Branson) at Rose Tavern, whilst morning leaders Earlham United were going down 2-1 at Sprowston Wanderers. Third placed Acle Rangers Reserves also suffered a defeat as they lost 3-1 at Spixworth Sunday, whilst Prince of Denmark continued their steady progress with a 3-0 (Chris Holmes 2, Ben Lewis) victory at Moles Rest. Unicorns came from two down to draw 2-2 at Heartsease FC. Mickey Freeman scored on his debut for Unicorns and the second came from Lloyd Nobbs.

Norman Wanderers Reserves are the new leaders of 2A. With Riverside Rovers inactive, Wanderers took their chance to go top by winning 3-0 at Dancing Farmers. Mad Moose were 6-2 winners at New Buckenham, Jamie Porter and Gareth Hobley scoring for the home side, and The Cottage scored four times as they beat Deopham. Green Man had a good day, winning 3-1 at Stoke FC.

In 2B, the top two faced each other at Briston, but it was leaders Bell Inn who took the three points, winning 2-0, with goals coming from a Josh Farrow penalty and Reece Ashman. This allowed Poringland Wanderers to jump back into second spot as they beat Unicorns Reserves 3-1. Both sides hit the woodwork in a goalless first half before a piece of good fortune for Andy Skipper saw his cross find its way into the net. Lee Edwards made it two for the home side soon after, but a good Jamie Minors strike reduced the deficit. As Unicorns started to search for an equaliser, a well worked move produced a Chris Reynolds finish giving the home side the points. One Love United and Salhouse Rovers produced an even contest, drawing 2-2, whilst Ribs Rovers were 5-1 winners at home to SDC United. Dan Davies hit a hat trick and there were goals for Scott Sawyer and Dan Parker as Sloughbottom Revolution moved off the bottom of the table with a 5-3 victory over DEF FC.

Most Read

Lewis Clarry scored three times whilst Sam Page and Dan Cook also scored as Brooke beat Temples Property 5-2 in Division 3A to return to the top of the table. With Bungay Town inactive, Sporting Longdale moved up to second thanks to goals by Josh Castlo-Hall, Jamie Platten and Tibor Megyesim in a 3-0 win at Phoenix Felthorpe. In the division’s other game, Temple Bar and Eaton Young Boys produced eight goals in a game that ended with both sides taking a point.

In 3B, leaders William Wanderers were 6-1 (Daniel Childerhouse, Matt Nixon, Liam Brown, Robert Blowers, Luke Delaney and Darrell Delaney) winners at Earlham Colney and remain a point ahead of Angel Gardens who scored eleven times (Jordan Rocastle 5, Ben Furlong 5, Liam Baker) as they beat Salhouse Rovers Reserves. Chapelfield Rovers were 4-2 winners over Hethersett Athletic, whilst Windmill Elite won by the odd goal of five at Costessey Sports.

Costessey West End continue to pull away at the top of 4A, maintaining their 100% record with a 7-4 victory at Horsford Youth. Lee Wharton (2), Matt Atherton and Nick Clark all scored for Sporting Longdale but it wasn’t enough for victory as CNSOBU Sunday scored two late goals to grab a 4-4 draw, and Brooke Reserves scored five without reply as they won at Hockering Reserves. Despite being denied their first win of the season by a last minute equaliser, The Stores Reserves manager Billy Blackburn was delighted by the performance of his young side. Despite goals by Lewis Morely and Sam Bobbin, the game ended 2-2.

In 4B, Freemasons continue to set the pace after a 7-2 home win over Spixworth Sunday Reserves. Second and third met for the second week running, but there were no goals for either as Hethersett Reserves and Shipdham Rangers took a point each, but there was nine goals at Red Lion with the home side scoring six of them against AFC Oak. Ryan Higgins scored twice, including a late equaliser as Locksley Ath drew 2-2 at Mettingham FC.