Martin, Muddel seal City win
Norwich City Under-18 2, Charlton Athletic Under-18 0City's Academy Under-18 side recorded their first win of 2006 - a comfortable victory over Charlton Athletic at Colney.
Norwich City Under-18 2, Charlton Athletic Under-18 0
City's Academy Under-18 side recorded their first win of 2006 - a comfortable victory over Charlton Athletic at Colney this afternoon.
City were without the services of Matthew Halliday after he suffered a knee injury in last week's 2-1 reversal at the hands of West Ham, while David Williams gave a first start to Tom Miller.
The Canaries got the game off to a perfect start, taking the lead after just three minutes when a right-wing cross from Jamie Eames picked out Chris Martin on the penalty spot. His first-time volley gave the Charlton 'keeper no chance as he crashed the ball into the roof of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich were clearly well on top as the visitors had to defend in numbers and they almost went two goals ahead when Seb Muddel picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area, but his first touch let him down as the ball ran through to the 'keeper.
Martin was clearly the danger man for City as he caused the visitors defence all sorts of problems and it was he who set up City's second goal after 27 minutes.
- 1 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 2 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 3 MATCHDAY LIVE: Canaries and Hornets clash in title tussle
- 4 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 5 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 6 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 7 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 8 'I rate him. He's a fantastic player' - Farke open to Skipp return
- 9 Pressure on Hornets for title-hunting City
- 10 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
Martin rolled the ball to Eames, who crossed for Bally Smart to head the ball back into the danger zone for Muddel to fire in off the post.
Charlton were first out of the blocks after the break and Scott Wagstaff came very close to converting a left-wing cross.
For City, Martin fired just over the bar after good work by Smart. Eames was enjoying probably his best game for City Under-18s and was unlucky when he jinked his way into the box before he was closed down by three Charlton defenders.
Charlton introduced all three substitutes in an attempt to get back into the game, but City comfortably held on to their two-goal advantage.
t Norwich City Under-18: Lewis, Cave-Brown, Eagle, Howlett, Gusterson, Fisk, Eames (Cooper, 86), Miller, Martin, Muddel (Daley), Smart. Subs (not used) Dedman.
t Charlton Athletic Under-18: Wooley, Cutler, Bayter, Yusseff, Thomas, Strang (Murtagh, 65 min), Wagstaff, Kamara (Sodje, 63 min), Carvill (Orelaja, 63 min), Burt, Spencer. Sub (not used) Coleman.
t City man of match: Chris Martin.