Russell Martin features but Norwich City’s U23s slip to 2-0 defeat against Peter Grant’s Fulham U23s
- Credit: Andy Kearns/Focus Images Limited
Peter Grant got the better of his old club with Norwich City’s development squad slipping to a first Premier League Two defeat since August in a 2-0 loss at Fulham’s Motspur Park on Friday.
Elijah Adebayo slotted a first half penalty before Cameron Thompson wrapped up the win for the hosts against a City side that again featured Scottish international Russell Martin.
The Canaries’ stalwart was an unused substitute for the midweek League Cup exit at Arsenal, but featured for Matt Gill’s youngsters as an over-age outfield player.
Fulham started on the front foot with Michael Elstone testing Aston Oxborough inside the opening two minutes.
Tristan Abrahams miscued in the 14th minute with Norwich’s first opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
Adebayo opened the Cottagers’ account from the penalty spot after he tumbled inside the City box and Oxborough was beaten again when Jayden Harris’ thumping hit cannoned off a post from Aron Davies’ intelligent cut back.
Pierre Fonkeu headed over as the visitors looked to reply but Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson almost doubled Fulham’s lead prior to the interval.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 3 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 4 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 9 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 10 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
Adebayo’s appeals for another spot kick were turned away early in the second period before Todd Cantwell thundered a shot against the bar.
The unmarked Elstone was denied by Oxborough in the 65th minute but Fulham continued to press and sealed the win five minutes from the end when Thompson started and finished a flowing move down the right.
• Norwich City U23s (starting XI): Oxborough, Aarons, Martin, Odusina, Kamal, Sambu, Aransibia, Fonkeu, Cantwell, Middleton, Abrahams.
• Bookings: Aarons (50), Fonkeu (68)
• Fulham U23s (starting XI): Ashby-Hammond, Spence, Atkinson, O’Riley, Davies, Jenz, Kwietniewski, Harris, Adebayo, Elstone, Thorsteinsson
• Booking: Atkinson (59)
• Goals: Adebayo (18), Thompson (85)