MATCHDAY RECAP: Norwich City 3 Newcastle 1 – Pukki hat-trick leaves Magpies shell-shocked
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Premier League football returned to Carrow Road this afternoon as Norwich City took on Newcastle United – and our reporters were there to bring you all the updates, analysis and reaction.
It's the first top-flight game in NR1 since a 4-2 victory over Watford under Alex Neil at the end of the 2015-16 season, with relegation imminent, when a Dieumerci Mbokani brace added to a Nathan Redmond strike and an own goal.
Both Norwich and Newcastle are looking to bounce back from defeat during the opening weekend of the season, with City beaten 4-1 away at title hopefuls Liverpool and the Magpies losing 1-0 at home to Arsenal.
Former Canaries defender Steve Bruce has taken over after Rafa Benitez's summer exit, after two seasons of mid-table safety, which has sparked fresh protests and boycotts as anger is directed at owner Mike Ashley.
The last time the teams met was a Championship game in February 2017, a 2-2 draw when Newcastle equalised late through Jamaal Lascelles, as the eventual champions continued to chase the title under Benitez.
You may also want to watch:
- Follow updates from Carrow Road above
- 1 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 2 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 3 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 4 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 5 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
- 6 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 7 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 9 Di Cunningham: Why City fans are in a class of their own
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal