MATCHDAY RECAP: Norwich City 3 Newcastle 1 – Pukki hat-trick leaves Magpies shell-shocked
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Premier League football returned to Carrow Road this afternoon as Norwich City took on Newcastle United – and our reporters were there to bring you all the updates, analysis and reaction.
It's the first top-flight game in NR1 since a 4-2 victory over Watford under Alex Neil at the end of the 2015-16 season, with relegation imminent, when a Dieumerci Mbokani brace added to a Nathan Redmond strike and an own goal.
Both Norwich and Newcastle are looking to bounce back from defeat during the opening weekend of the season, with City beaten 4-1 away at title hopefuls Liverpool and the Magpies losing 1-0 at home to Arsenal.
Former Canaries defender Steve Bruce has taken over after Rafa Benitez's summer exit, after two seasons of mid-table safety, which has sparked fresh protests and boycotts as anger is directed at owner Mike Ashley.
The last time the teams met was a Championship game in February 2017, a 2-2 draw when Newcastle equalised late through Jamaal Lascelles, as the eventual champions continued to chase the title under Benitez.
You may also want to watch:
- Follow updates from Carrow Road above
- 1 A small gesture that shows why Norwich City are a class apart
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Wycombe win
- 3 Paul Lambert leaves Ipswich Town by mutual consent
- 4 City debate recap: Dowell, Stiepermann and City's number 10 position
- 5 Cantwell Brentford return rated 'less than 50%'
- 6 What next for Paul Lambert? A man once adored by Norwich fans....
- 7 Lee Payne: So what happens next for Norwich City?
- 8 Missed opportunity for Hernandez to reaffirm his City credentials
- 9 'I hope he gets promoted' - Wycombe chief holds Farke in high regard
- 10 Chris Goreham: It's not that relaxing to watch Norwich City... trust me, Pep