MATCHDAY RECAP: Norwich City 3 Newcastle 1 – Pukki hat-trick leaves Magpies shell-shocked
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Premier League football returned to Carrow Road this afternoon as Norwich City took on Newcastle United – and our reporters were there to bring you all the updates, analysis and reaction.
It's the first top-flight game in NR1 since a 4-2 victory over Watford under Alex Neil at the end of the 2015-16 season, with relegation imminent, when a Dieumerci Mbokani brace added to a Nathan Redmond strike and an own goal.
Both Norwich and Newcastle are looking to bounce back from defeat during the opening weekend of the season, with City beaten 4-1 away at title hopefuls Liverpool and the Magpies losing 1-0 at home to Arsenal.
Former Canaries defender Steve Bruce has taken over after Rafa Benitez's summer exit, after two seasons of mid-table safety, which has sparked fresh protests and boycotts as anger is directed at owner Mike Ashley.
The last time the teams met was a Championship game in February 2017, a 2-2 draw when Newcastle equalised late through Jamaal Lascelles, as the eventual champions continued to chase the title under Benitez.
You may also want to watch:
- Follow updates from Carrow Road above
- 1 Why a Premier League gamble makes no sense for Farke
- 2 Onel Hernandez reveals reason he got a Norwich City tattoo
- 3 Former City coach departs Ipswich Town
- 4 'I have to say I had more than one tear in my eye' - choked Farke on City duo's exit
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v City - No fresh injuries. Skipp and Pukki will be part of celebrations
- 6 Why Norwich City won't be a soft touch in the Premier League
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 8 'Perfection' - Dowell on getting back to the big time with Canaries
- 9 Rosenborg set for talks with Tettey
- 10 When will Norwich City learn their Premier League fixtures?