Mattishall suffer another cup ko
Kirkley & Pakefield Reserves 0, Mattishall 0 (K&P win 4-2 on pens)
Mattishall went to Kirkley on Friday night in the Mummery Cup looking to keep their cup aspirations alive.
An early Connelly free-kick was punched clear by Thacker in the home goal. Risby for K&P had a good run that ended in a corner from which Mattishall broke and Gibbons, in space, just failed to find Applegate.
A fine ball by Hewitt saw Fulcher force a corner while at the other end Risby found Twomlow, whose shot was deflected for a corner as the game switched from end to end.
A quick break from Mattishall saw Gibbons released down the right, but his effort went narrowly wide. The remainder of the half was mainly a midfield battle with neither keeper having to make a serious save.
You may also want to watch:
The second half started brightly and Fulcher came the closest to breaking the deadlock when a snap shot from 20 yards cannoned back off a post back to Fulcher, who this time shot wide.
A poor clearance from the home rear-guard fell to Applegate who also missed the target and then Fulcher’s strike went into the side netting.
- 1 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 2 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 4 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 5 Farke braced for summer of speculation amid Frankfurt links
- 6 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 7 'Bring it on', says Bournemouth boss
- 8 City’s big chance to prove there is ‘one team that stands out’
- 9 How Trent and Walker are shaping City star's progression
- 10 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
Applegate again missed the target from a good position and Hewitt saw a shot go narrowly over the top.
It was not all Mattishall as the home side had their fair share of possession, but they were guilty of going over far to easily and making decisions very difficult for the referee. They were reduced to 10 men when Baker was sent off for something he said.
With extra-time looming Talbot was forced into a point-blank save following a corner, and a trademark surging run from Edwards saw Applegate shooting into the side netting.
In extra time, despite Mattishall having the extra man advantage, K&P had the best opportunity. Following a free-kick, Twomlow found himself in space only three yards out but failed to hit the target.
The game went to a penalty shoot-out in which the home side converted all four of theirs but Mattishall missed two, and their involvement in all cup competitions for this season ended.