Aarons named on bench for England U21s as Boothroyd shuffles pack
- Credit: PA
Max Aarons has been dropped out of the England U21 side to face Portugal tonight, with Aidy Boothroyd shuffling his pack after their defeat to Switzerland.
City's right-back started the game on Thursday, starting brightly as the Young Lions looked to assume control in the opening period. He played 90 minutes as a wing-back as Dan Ndoye's fortuitous strike saw England suffer defeat in their opening European Championship group stage match.
The 21-year-old is replaced by Steven Sessegnon in one of four changes City's ex-youth coach has made. Canaries colleague Todd Cantwell is also named among the substitutes.
On-loan Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Oliver Skipp retains his place in midfield alongside Everton youngster Tom Davies.
England need to record a win against Portugal to get back on track after the disjointed nature of their defeat on Thursday. Kick-off is at 8pm (UK time) in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
England U21: Ramsdale; Tanganga, Godfrey, Guehi, S.Sessegnon; Skipp, Davies, Smith Rowe; Madueke, Nketiah, R.Sessegnon. Subs: Aarons, Kelly, Cantwell, Gallagher, Wilmot, Bursik (GK), Jones, Brewster, Eze, McNeil, Griffiths (GK)
- 1 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 2 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 3 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 4 PRESSER LIVE: QPR v City - Bullish Farke on Aarons' Everton link; no new injuries
- 5 Transfer rumours: Everton 'step up interest' in City star
- 6 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 7 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 9 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 10 Canaries legend thinks promotion party was fully deserved