‘I honestly think we have got the qualities to get ourselves out of it’ - McLean believes City can survive
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Kenny McLean believes the current Norwich City squad possess the qualities required to get themselves out of the Premier League relegation zone.
City's league position is looking increasingly precarious, with the Canaries rooted to the bottom of the division on 14 points.
Despite that, performances over the festive period did provide some encouragement, with Daniel Farke's men possessing a competitive edge in their fixtures across December.
Converting positive performances into results has proved testing however, with City unable to capitalise from winning positions.
Farke's men find themselves in a position that no club has survived from previously but the Scot remains adamant that the Canaries do possess the qualities needed to find an upturn in form.
You may also want to watch:
"We are obviously in a difficult situation. I honestly think we have got the qualities to get ourselves out of it. Confidence and belief is still high because we are always in games," McLean told the Daily Record.
"There have been two games this season - Liverpool on the first day of the season when we did okay but we lost 4-1 and the Aston Villa game at home (which Villa won 5-1) - when we weren't good enough, (but) that's the only two games that we have been out of sight. We have been in every other game."
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 3 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 6 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 7 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 10 Farke's words of advice for Soto
McLean has been a key component of City's midfield this season, with the Scot being deployed in a more advanced position.
His contribution during City's victory at Merseyside was telling, but finding consistency has been difficult for the entirety of Farke's squad.
City were left to rue missed opportunities in their New Year's Day game against Crystal Palace, and McLean insists the Canaries should have extracted more points from their fixtures over Christmas.
"We have been playing pretty good stuff. In the four games over Christmas we could have picked up 12 points. It's easy enough saying that. It is up to us to turn those narrow defeats and draws into draws and wins.
Hopefully we can string a few wins together because in this league that is massive and we definitely have the squad to do it."