Meek goal inherits the Cup glory
Docking Rangers claimed the Norfolk Primary Cup at The Walks on Friday with a thrilling 2-1 victory over local rivals Pott Row. Carl Meek's volley in added time eventually sealed victory for Docking in a game that looked destined to go to extra-time.
Docking Rangers claimed the Norfolk Primary Cup at The Walks on Friday with a thrilling 2-1 victory over local rivals Pott Row.
Carl Meek's volley in added time eventually sealed victory for Docking in a game that looked destined to go to extra-time.
Docking deservedly took the lead inside five minutes when Chris Jenkins swept home.
And they went on to enjoy the better of the first half action, with Pott Row struggling to make an impression on the game.
However, the game couldn't have been more of a contrast after the break, with Pott Row dominating possession and peppering the Docking goal.
They got their just rewards after 65 minutes, when Pat Grief curled a beautiful left footed free kick into the net from 25 yards.
- 1 Ex-Norwich City striker set for 10-match ban
- 2 BLACKPOOL 0 CANARIES 1 - Key moments, ratings and stats
- 3 Smith takeaways: Purple patch; classy Nunez, predatory Pukki; Cantwell absence
- 4 'A front line to be jealous about' - Appleton's verdict on Norwich City
- 5 STARTING XIs: Hernandez replaces Sara for Blackpool trip
- 6 Bullish Smith puts City rivals on notice
- 7 Smith's 'pride' at Canaries' reset
- 8 City boss looking for more Blackpool thrills and spills
- 9 Follow live updates of Blackpool v Norwich City
- 10 Spud Thornhill: 'Ken still gives every single person his time to chat to them'
Only the Pott Row players will know how they didn't go on to win the game, with Simon Clarke, Karl Wilkin and Lee Ballard all going agonisingly close to adding a second in the final quarter of an hour.
However, it was Meek who ultimately showed the most composure in front of goal when he met a deep cross with a controlled first time volley that nestled into the corner, winning the game with almost the last kick to send Rangers players and fans into raptures.
Docking Rangers: Curry, Thorpe (Howard 60), Preston, Leverett, King, Nelligan, Able, Meek, Ramshaw, Jenkins, Brooks. Unused subs: Ramshaw, Shackcloth, Hewitt, Riches.
Pott Row: Greville, Rayford, Raspberry, Alliker, Ballard, Hornigold, Seekings, Thompson, Alcott (Wilkin 24), Clarke, Grief. Unused subs: N Stanforth, Barrett, C Stanforth, S Stanforth.