Mercury area round-up

SCOLE GIRLS U12 started the game very brightly and after a Georgia King corner had hit a post Ellie Drake scored from the rebound, Thorpe equalised when Shannon Lummis made a good save but the ball fell to a Thorpe player who tapped it in.

SCOLE GIRLS U12 started the game very brightly and after a Georgia King corner had hit a post Ellie Drake scored from the rebound, Thorpe equalised when Shannon Lummis made a good save but the ball fell to a Thorpe player who tapped it in. Scole started to dominate the match and Georgia King scored with a shot from distance that the keeper couldn't hold. The Scole defence of Amber Elliott and Georgia Edwards kept out any Thorpe attacks and good midfield play from Bengisu Karakus, Imogen Saye and Amy Davis kept creating chances. Player-of-the-match Ellie then scored the third after some good passing and completed her hat-trick with a great run and left-foot finish. This was a very good team performance.

EYE SAINTS U13, champions, came from behind twice to salvage a 3-3 draw at second-place Sizewell. After five minutes Sizewell took the lead when a ball was placed over the Saints' defence to a Sizewell forward who chipped the ball over Ben Roberts in goal. After 20 minutes it was 2-0 to Sizewell with a carbon copy of the first goal. Eye had plenty of possession but didn't really create any clear-cut chances in an even first half. Eye started the second half on top and after five minutes a lovely cross from Cameron McKie found the head of Reuben Martindale who finished well. Three minutes later Sizewell restored their two-goal advantage. Midway through the second half, two excellent goals in a three-minute spell from, Joe Hooton, brought Eye level. Both sides went for the win with Eye's defender, Liam Potter, going close with a shot at the far post. It was an excellent game with a draw a fair result. MoM: Joe Hooton for two excellent goals and an all-round display.

HARLESTON U12 travelled to second- in-the-table St Benets and came away with a defeat, in a game which could have gone either way. After a bright start in which Harleston missed a couple of chances the hosts surged into a 5-0 lead before half-time due to two unfortunate own goals and three poorly-defended goals. Harleston did manage to pull a goal back from a fine Josh Bailey header before half-time. After a stern half-time talk, Harleston came out in the second half with nothing to lose. After pressurising the home defence, Thomas Peachman pulled another back with a fine lob. Harleston scored again through Brandon Pickess shortly after and all of a sudden at 5-3 it was game on. St Benets then scored again from a corner. Ryan Shadbolt then shot past the keeper to make the score 6-4 but again St Benets scored on the break for 7-4. Ryan Shadbolt's powerful shot made the score 7-5 with 10 minutes remaining and again a comeback looked on the cards. Unfortunately, with Harleston pushing forward, St Benets caught them on the break to make the final score 8-5. Ollie Farmer had a fine game and claimed MoM, but credit to all the players who could have capitulated at half-time.

HARLESTON U14 were playing probably the best team in their division, Gorleston, and lost 6-2. Playing with the breeze in the first half, they shocked the visitors by going one up via a Dan Knox corner, headed in by Kieran Allum. Gorleston soon replied in similar fashion heading in a corner. Remarl Nelson had a good chance but brought a good save out of the keeper. Gorleston then scored again before half-time. Gorleston started quickly after the break and soon scored twice more, Ollie Earl pulled a goal back when he slid the ball under the advancing keeper but in the end Gorleston were just too strong and scored another two before the end. MoM: William Jackson.

HETHERSETT GIRLS U17 rounded their league season off in style with a 6-0 win over Swindell Girls. Hannah Waters hit four to equal the club scoring record of 79 in a season. With cup matches still to come, Hannah looks certain of breaking the record set last season by men's team player Danny Gray. Other scorers: Lucy Middleton and Megan Todd.

HETHERSETT U13 beat Salhouse 6-0 on a hard pitch with a swirling wind. The first half was short of passing football with the ball constantly in the air. Hethersett took the lead through Matty Butcher followed by a well- worked free-kick which was headed in by Max Bishop. Hethersett's passing football improved after the break with further goals from Butcher and Bishop. Josh Denny reverted from defence to midfield and added two long-range goals to the tally. Jack Walker worked hard from midfield and was unlucky to see his free-kick strike the bar. Macauly Ryan made his first appearance in goal and was well protected by the resilient back four.

Most Read

HETHERSETT U14 went down 2-1 at Fakenham. Once again the team was short of players due to unavailability and injuries Hethersett took the lead against the run of play but pressure from Fakenham swung the game in their favour. Nevertheless, Hethersett showed plenty of spirit.

HETHERSETT U12 had an exciting tussle at Sprowston but ended on the wrong end of a 5-4 score line. Hethersett goals came from Sam Rix, Conrad Doggett, Matthew Pummell and Lewis Baxter. Meanwhile, the U11s went down 7-0 at Lakeford.

ATTLEBOROUGH U14 visited Sheringham and received a rude awakening when the home side quickly took a 2-0 lead. Boro then turned up the heat and equalised in time for the half-time whistle courtesy of Gene Furneaux and Curtis Bolton. The second half saw Boro taking control the game and despite numerous close chances only managing to raise the score to 3-2 which came from midfielder Matty Spencer. MoM was Jack Crosswaite who worked tirelessly on the right wing. Boro's best wishes go to the Sheringham keeper who broke his arm during this fixture.

MORLEY YOUTH U10 hosted a league match against local team Rocklands. The match got under way with two very determined teams working hard to gain ground. Rocklands' defence were holding extremely well and giving Morley issues, Morley tried on several occasion to break through but without any luck. Morley eventually broke through and Max Tofts tried to covert a corner with a header but Rocklands' keeper was on good form and managed a great high save in the goal. Both teams battled on covering a lot of ground, a goalmouth fumble gained Morley their first goal. Robbie Boulter managed to covert a corner into a goal to give a half time score of 1-0 to Morley. The second half saw both teams determined and some great skill coming from Rocklands who were very positive and well organised, gaining possession and pilling on the pressure. Morley's Nathan Cotton had several attempt before bagging the third goal of the match. Rocklands were fighting back hard with Morley putting everything into its defences. The pace had increased considerably by both teams. Final score: 3-0 to Morley. MoM: Luke Custance, fantastic defending and tackling.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U12 had a number of chances to take the lead against Jex but firstly Nathan's cross/shot was well saved and Luke W's follow up was well blocked by the keeper. The defence of Daniel, Mat, Tom F and Luke were untroubled, whilst Chris worked hard in his wide midfield position creating some unconverted opportunities. Wymondham kicked off the second half against a strong breeze and central midfielders Jamie and Michael upped their game to initially dominate a good midfield battle. Lewis gave WTU the lead when he gathered the ball from the corner flag, drove into the penalty area and slipped a clever shot under the advancing keeper. Jordan increased Wymondham's lead minutes later when he cracked a shot home from eight yards following a good build-up and cross on the left flank. The game seemed secure but a loss of concentration from the boys allowed Jex to reply. James made a great stop low to his left to keep his side in front but Jex continued to surge forward and they were rewarded with two quick goals. There was still time for Nathan and Jordan to have efforts well saved but WTU slipped to a disappointing 3-2 defeat. PoM: Daniel, strong defensive display with some good breaks forward.

WYMONDHAM U11 played Thorpe away on Sunday sending a ten-player holiday squad. Thorpe put the Wymondham defence under early pressure, Henry Felton, Alex Raggtett and Casey Barrett made some vital clearances clearing the ball away from the danger zone. Wymondham goalie Jacob Mitchell made a couple of early saves to prevent Thorpe taking an early lead. Wymondham started to battle back and midfielders John Moore, Joe Greenslade and Craig Attewell started forcing the play into the Thorpe half feeding the ball to forwards Marcus Black and James Kerry. At the end of the first half Wymondham clearly had Thorpe on the back foot. Wymondham started the second half with the advantage of playing down hill with a tailwind. Thorpe were finding the Wymondham pressure difficult to deal with and some of their players were becoming very frustrated with the physical Wymondham midfield. The pressure finally paid off when a Joe Greenslade cross to Rob Smith was in turn fed to James Kerry who tapped in Wymondham's first. Wymondham's second goal was scored by Casey Barrett being in exactly the right place to get onto the end of a Craig Attewell corner. Final score Thorpe 0, Wymondham 2. An outstanding Wymondham display from a 10-man squad. MoM: Jacob Mitchell.

WYMONDHAM U9visited mid-table Dereham Blue. The strength of the squad was being tested this week with no Sonny Clarke, Jacob Bush, Fergus Hughes and Elliott Hindley. Lucas Ahier came into goal, Curtis Bell up front with leading scorer Henry Metcalf dropping into midfield with skipper Luke Hunt and Jamie Blanchflower partnering Charlie Gavin in defence. Town started brightly and with one of the first attacks Henry burst through a static defence to drive a sweet strike into the bottom corner for a 1-0 lead. Wymondham were looking solid at the back and after 15 minutes still held a comfortable lead, then after 20 minutes Town got the important second when a long clearance from Luke dropped in the Dereham half and Henry chased the ball down. He lifted it over the defender's head then over the advancing keeper's head as well and knocked it into the net, under pressure from another defender - a real quality goal. Wymondham were now looking in total control and had introduced Rebecca Greenslade at the back to consolidate the advantage. Better was to come towards the end of the half as the ball was worked into the box to Luke who, as cool as you like, placed a neat finish into the bottom corner for a 3-0 lead. With a couple of minutes to go until half-time the home side were awarded a debatable free-kick on the edge of the Town area and the kick had enough power to squeeze through Lucas' hands. The second half started and Town brought on Josh Bush for some added firepower and he battled really well for the team and helped create a couple of chances for his team-mates. The second half started where the first left off. The referee spotted a hand-ball in the box and gave Dereham a penalty. The kick was struck sweetly but Lucas pulled off a great full- length stop and then saved the rebound as well. Town needed to defend deeply and Jamie Blanchflower was rock-solid in defence, heading everything away and using the ball well to try and start attacks. Curtis Bell was so unlucky not to add a fourth for the team when he broke through struck a great strike which crashed against a post and although it looked like the ball then rolled over the line the referee did not give it. The team then battled on and although they could have added to the score, the final score ended 3-1. Wymondham MoM: Jamie Blanchflower. Opposition MoM: Henry Metcalf.

MULBARTON WANDERERS U16 did their best to contain a skilful Thorpe side in a cup semi-final encounter .The Wanderers made a nervous start with Thorpe hitting a post and bar, putting pressure on the Mulbarton goal. Adam W was battling hard, covering lots of ground trying to make an opening in the visitors' defence. Eventually, Thorpe took the lead but Mulbarton were beginning to find some rhythm with Alex R and Danny C both making important challenges. The pivotal moment came early in the second period when Thorpe had a player sent off and a well-struck free-kick from Sam D skimmed the bar. From this point on, tired legs created holes in the defence and this led to Mulbarton conceding more goals. A powerful free-kick from Alex R struck the bar but unfortunately they could not build on these positive moments. Final score: Thorpe were 6-0 winners. Mulbarton MoM: Adam W, Danny C and Alex R.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U11 lost to Panthers 9-4. With only 10 available players, Wymondham were still hopeful of a victory against a Panthers side they had beaten earlier in the season, and for the first half it all went well. Harvey Jones gave Town an early lead, only for the home side to draw level soon after from a corner. Only a last-gasp goal-line clearance from Isaac Brook kept the visitors from going behind, before a great shot from Joe Mills restored Town's lead. It was end-to-end stuff throughout the half, with Harvey scoring his second and Wymondham's third, before Panthers hit back to make it 3-2 at the end of an exciting first period. After the break, Wymondham immediately had the home team on the back foot, with Joe hitting a post, as chances were created. Ollie Fanning then scored his first of the season to restore Town's two-goal advantage. But their luck was about to change, as deputy goalkeeper Aaron Boyall was hurt in a challenge and was unable to continue, and despite a brave performance by replacement, Matt Foster, it left nine boys against 11 and Town struggled to adapt to the disadvantage. This encouraged the home side, who soon overran the dispirited Wymondham team, running out 9-4 winners. Town had at least played a lot better in the first half with 10 players than in recent games, and should take heart from that going into their next game. MoM: Matt Foster.