Position: Central defender
Born: Gateshead (Mar 23, 1980)
Height: 6ft, 2in.
You may also want to watch:
Weight: 12st, 1lbs.
Date signed: July 1, 2009
- 1 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 3 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 4 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 7 Pressure on Hornets for title-hunting City
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 9 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 10 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
Signed from: Hartlepool United, Bosman free transfer
Contract: June 2011
City debut: v Col Utd H (Aug 8, 2009)
Former clubs: Bishop Auckland, Bury, Hartlepool United
Bury (01-03): 80 starts, plus 3 as sub, 16 goals.
Hartlepool (03-09): 302 starts, plus 4 as sub, 8 goals.
Total: 382 starts, plus 7 as sub, 24 goals.
Central defender Michael Nelson became the club's third summer signing after agreeing to join City from Hartlepool United on a two-year contract. He cut short his honeymoon to sign for the Canaries.
A no-nonsense defender, Michael was strongly recommended to the club by assistant manager Ian Butterworth who worked with Michael during his time on the coaching staff at Hartletpool.
During his six-year spell at Victoria Park the 29-year-old forged an excellent reputation on the League One circuit and Norwich had to overcome competition from other League One and Championship clubs to secure his services. Nelson has captained both Hartlepool and his former club Bury and his leadership qualities will be vital.