Position: Central defender
Born: Gateshead (Mar 23, 1980)
Height: 6ft, 2in.
You may also want to watch:
Weight: 12st, 1lbs.
Date signed: July 1, 2009
- 1 City keeper issues injury update
- 2 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 3 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 4 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 5 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 6 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 7 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 9 Young City winger completes permanent Harrogate Town move
- 10 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
Signed from: Hartlepool United, Bosman free transfer
Contract: June 2011
City debut: v Col Utd H (Aug 8, 2009)
Former clubs: Bishop Auckland, Bury, Hartlepool United
Bury (01-03): 80 starts, plus 3 as sub, 16 goals.
Hartlepool (03-09): 302 starts, plus 4 as sub, 8 goals.
Total: 382 starts, plus 7 as sub, 24 goals.
Central defender Michael Nelson became the club's third summer signing after agreeing to join City from Hartlepool United on a two-year contract. He cut short his honeymoon to sign for the Canaries.
A no-nonsense defender, Michael was strongly recommended to the club by assistant manager Ian Butterworth who worked with Michael during his time on the coaching staff at Hartletpool.
During his six-year spell at Victoria Park the 29-year-old forged an excellent reputation on the League One circuit and Norwich had to overcome competition from other League One and Championship clubs to secure his services. Nelson has captained both Hartlepool and his former club Bury and his leadership qualities will be vital.