Midfielder given international call-up
Michael Bailey Norwich City midfielder Matty Pattison has been called up to the full South Africa squad.The 21-year-old has been named in Brazilian coach Joel Santana's squad for the Bafana Bafana's friendly against Australia at Loftus Road on August 19.
Norwich City midfielder Matty Pattison has been called up to the full South Africa squad.
The 21-year-old has been named in Brazilian coach Joel Santana's squad for the Bafana Bafana's friendly against Australia at Loftus Road on August 19.
The match will act as preparation for South Africa's World Cup qualifier against Nigeria in Port Elizabeth on September 6.
You may also want to watch:
Although South Africa is hosting the World Cup in 2010, the schedule also doubles up as qualifiers for the African Cup of Nations, hence their involvement.
If he makes an appearance during the game, it will be Pattison's first full cap for his country.
- 1 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 2 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 3 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 4 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 5 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 6 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 7 Local lad tag weighs heavy on Cantwell's shoulders
- 8 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 9 Farke's fledglings: How City chief moulded the next generation for Canaries
- 10 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
“This game will also afford me a chance to see the players in a game situation as I have only just come into the team and need to understand how each player responds,” said Santana.
“We have to merge all the hard work put together in the past 16 months to produce a team for 2010. The 2010 African Cup of Nations qualifiers are therefore important for us, just as all the friendly games are.”