Mighty Mallett delivers cup semi hammer blow
EVENING NEWS SUNDAY LEAGUE:The Grove and Acle Rangers will contest this year's Pink Un League Cup final at Wroxham on May 16 after both sides won their respective semi-finals this weekend.
The Grove and Acle Rangers will contest this year's Pink Un League Cup final at Wroxham on May 16 after both sides won their respective semi-finals this weekend.
Two quality finishes by Sam Mallett capped a superb all-round team performance by Steve Greening's The Grove, who now face an in- form Acle Rangers side who won 3-1 at Poringland, thanks to goals by Morgan, Foreman and Hayton, with Barnes replying for the home side.
One game took place in the Premier Division and it produced an away victory for reigning champions Marlborough who won 2-1 at Silver Fox.
In 1A, Norman Wanderers Res had a 4-2 home win over North Walsham Town and Hellesdon Athletic finished their season beating Rose Valley 5-1.
You may also want to watch:
The big game in 1B saw second-placed Earlham Utd beat morning leaders Costessey Sports 3-2 to take over at the top of the division on goal difference. Aylsham Sunday thumped Sprowston Wanderers 9-1 to go third and Drayton won by the odd goal of nine at Haig FC.
Hillside OB completed their fixtures going down 4-3 to Prince of Denmark.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 5 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 6 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 7 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 9 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
Aslacton moved a step nearer to 2A leaders Reepham Town after winning 3-1 at Acle Wanderers.
This leaves the South Norfolk side three points behind but with two games left.
The Castlegate scored four without reply at Deopham and Vale Longo were held to a 4-4 draw by Plasterers Arms for whom Fogarty 2, Watson and Kemp scored. Needing to score at least 11 goals to pip Old Catton to the 2B title, St Faiths made a valiant attempt as they beat Acle Rangers Res 9-2, great effort but how they must rue losing their previous two games.
Newsman Celtic won the final game of the 3A season, beating The Otter 3-2. After goals from Budd and Chaplin saw them go two down, 3B champions Bayer FC stormed back to win 5-2 whilst Taverham moved level on points with second-placed Mischief Tavern after beating Aylsham Sunday Res 3-2.
In 4A Sporting Longdale Res beat Silver Fox Res 3-2, whilst it's well done to Freethorpe Sunday who took second place in 4B after winning 5-4 at Constitution. Tom Whitmore scored the only goal of the game as champions Heartsease FC won 1-0 at Salhouse Res, whilst a hat-trick from Sam Brewster and further strikes by Neil McGreevy and Robert Bridge ensured a winning finish to the season for AFC Oak as they beat Wendene 5-1.
All clubs are reminded that renewal forms for the 2010/11 season must be with the league secretary Ben Casey by April 30. Failure to do so could lead to a fine and your club deemed to have withdrawn from the league.