Mills believes City striker would be ‘obvious’ transfer target if Leeds get promoted
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The Premier League season may be suspended but that hasn’t prevented former Norwich City defender Danny Mills from suggesting the Canaries’ top scorer Teemu Pukki as a transfer target for Leeds - if the clubs eventually swap leagues.
All clubs are currently anxiously awaiting to see how long the suspension will go on for, with seasons unfinished and contingency planning for such situations unclear.
As things stand however, the Canaries are bottom of the Premier League and six points from safety with nine games to play and Leeds are top of the Championship, seven points clear of third, also with nine games to play.
With the Whites on course to end their 16-year absence outside of the top flight, Norfolk-born former England right-back Mills, who played for both the Canaries and Leeds, has suggested Pukki should be a target for Marcelo Bielsa.
The Finn's form may have stuttered recently but he scored 30 goals as City win the Championship title last season - and 36 in 56 games in total for club and country during an exceptional season that saw him win a host of awards.
You may also want to watch:
Pukki, who turns 30 this month, also has 18 in 35 matches for club and country this season and fired Finland to qualification for Euro 2020, their first ever major tournament - with 11 Premier League goals to his name.
Asked who Leeds should target by Football Insider, former Sprowston High School student Mills said: 'Pukki would be the obvious choice.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 8 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 9 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 10 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
'It is where does he go and what sort of fee would he command. Does he want to leave Norwich? He is the obvious one.
'He is a goal-scorer and he has proven he can do it. A good position and the way that Leeds play…
'But Bielsa is a funny one and a canny one at times. He could bring in somebody completely left-field. He may well use his contacts in South America or Spain to bring in somebody.
'I think it would be obvious that they would have to bring somebody of quality in the centre-forward position if they get promoted.'
Mills made 73 appearances and scored once for Norwich between 1995 and 1998, before joining Charlton in a deal worth around £350,000.