Mixed fortunes for Aylsham Ladies
Aylsham Ladies recently travelled to Acle who were top of the league and unbeaten.
Knowing this was going to be a tough match, Aylsham went out strongly and their defence were solid. Aylsham felt unfortunate to go in at half-time 1-0 down to a goal scored just a few minutes before the break.
This pattern continued after the break – Acle being frustrated by the Aylsham defence and goalkeeper, Sam Ede.
In the end though Aylsham tired and in the last 15 minutes Acle scored three goals to make the final score a flattering 4-0 to Acle.
Results in the past few months have been mixed. Just prior to Christmas the ladies lost 4-2 to Wymondham. This was a closely fought match but eventually Wymondham came out on top with a couple of late goals. Aylsham’s goals were scored by Michaela England and Bex Burton.
The first match after Christmas was a League Cup match against Stalham. Matches between these clubs are usually close and so it proved to be again as Stalham just edged into the next round with a 1-0 win. This was a disappointing cup exit for the Ladies.
There was a chance for a cup win the following week though as the quarter-finals of the County Cup were played and Aylsham travelled to Cawston to take on Red Rose.
- 1 'It's something' - Fans react to City's point at Wolves
- 2 WOLVES 1 CANARIES 1 - Key moments, ratings and stats
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Wolves 1-1 Norwich City
- 4 Robin Sainty: The current situation at Norwich City is toxic
- 5 City winger Springett on Ireland youth team radar
- 6 Follow live updates from Wolves v Norwich City
- 7 Former City star's wife tells of player's devastating dementia battle
- 8 City boss in the market for another 'Buendia-style' creative spark
- 9 Spud Thornhill: Let's make sure we're Norwich City united!
- 10 Ex-Canary Whittaker excited for Fleetwood assistant role
Aylsham started the match well and the Red Rose goalie saved several shots before Aylsham were frustrated further by hitting the woodwork twice. After 90 minutes the score remained 0-0 so it went to extra time.
Aylsham came out strongly in extra time and Gina Atherton got a decisive goal early on and Aylsham managed to see the extra 30 minutes out to secure a place in the semi-finals where they will play Norwich City Ladies first team. This is going to be a tough match as Norwich plays several leagues above Aylsham!
Thanks to manager Chris Demmen, linesman Carl Kemp and kit sponsors Aylsham Computers.
Aylsham’s squad is Sam Ede, Di England, Shaz Bunn (Captain), Lauren Kemp, Georgia Bryant, Vickii Scott, Michaela England, Grace Jackson, Lizzie Hibberd, Hayley Demmen, Bex Burton, Gina Atherton.