Norwich City duo Russell Martin and Steven Naismith miss out but Grant Hanley in Scotland squad
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Grant Hanley has retained his place in Gordon Strachan’s squad for Scotland’s crunch upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Slovakia and Slovenia - but there is no place for either Russell Martin or Steven Naismith.
Martin and Naismith have not featured for the Canaries in recent weeks, with Naismith currently ruled out with a groin injury, and Martin working his way back into contention after a course of injections for nutritional requirements.
The City captain is on development duty at Reading on Monday and head coach Daniel Farke confirmed on Monday lunchtime both will again miss out for Norwich’s Championship trip to Middlesbrough on Tuesday.
The Scots know wins in their final two qualifiers could seal a play-off spot, Slovakia visit Hampden Park on October 5 before Strachan’s squad head to Slovenia on October 8.
Hanley is in the party, despite yet to make his full senior debut for the Canaries since his late summer transfer from Newcastle United. There is also a recall for former Norwich defender Steven Whittaker, who joined old club Hibernian in the close season.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Michael McGovern is in the Northern Ireland squad for their World Cup ties against reigning champions Germany and Norway. Michael O’Neill’s squad currently sit second in Group C on 19 points, five behind the Germans.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 7 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 10 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top