Monthly award wins for former Canaries in Championship and League Two
- Credit: PA
Former Norwich City players have been named Player of the Month for September in both the Championship and League Two.
The Championship award has gone to ex-Canaries midfielder Bradley Johnson, who scored three goals during the opening three games of the campaign as Blackburn made a strong start.
The 33-year-old, who scored 21 goals in 154 games for Norwich between 2011 and 2015, being named Player of the Season after play-off promotion in 2015, was a regular starter during his first season after joining Rovers from Derby on a free transfer and has picked up where left off during 2020-21.
Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray told the EFL’s website: “Bradley is really growing into this football club. His performances have been exceptional so far this season and let’s see if he can maintain it.
“I think we’re seeing the player that we know he is. We’ve worked really hard on his fitness levels and I think it’s paying dividends now. He’s running, he’s closing down, he’s winning the ball back, he’s getting high up the pitch and he’s scoring goals, and the team are benefiting from that.”
You may also want to watch:
Johnson has also been nominated for the Championship Goal of the Month award, for a trademark left-footed strike from 25 yards during Blackburn’s 4-0 win at Derby.
New Reading boss Veljko Paunovic won the managerial award after a 100pc start to the season for the Royals.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 3 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 5 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 6 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 7 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 8 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 9 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 10 Hanley insists winning title 'means everything' to Canaries
Former Norwich boss Paul Lambert was named Manager of the Month in League One, after Ipswich won their opening three games.
While in League Two it was City academy product Ian Henderson winning Player of the Month, after the 35-year-old’s summer switch from Rochdale to Salford.
Five goals in four league games saw the Thetford-raised forward get the nod, who scored six goals in 79 games for Norwich between 2002 and 2007.
Henderson edged out another former Norwich academy player to the win, with midfielder Adam Phillips nominated.
The 22-year-old former Liverpool trainee joined Burnley after being released by Norwich in 2019 and enjoyed a positive loan with Morecambe during the second half of last season, so rejoined the Shrimps for this season.
Three goals and an assist in three league games earned Phillips the nomination, who was a regular at U23 level and captained City’s development squad, making it on to the bench for the first team for one Championship game but being released after loans at Cambridge and Hamilton didn’t work out.