Nap-happy Blues

Redbridge 0, Lowestoft Town 5Lowestoft Town opened up a 4 point lead at the top of the Ryman League Division One North with a five goal demolition of Redbridge.

Redbridge 0, Lowestoft Town 5

Lowestoft Town opened up a 4 point lead at the top of the Ryman League Division One North with a five goal demolition of Redbridge.

With Gary Holt unavailable and Ross King injured on Tuesday Lowestoft called up 16 year old Joe Clark, who has scored a combined 39 goals for the Reserves and youth teams this season, for a place on the bench.

Although Redbridge were quick off the starting blocks they were stunned as the Trawlerboys opened the scoring with their first attack in the 6th minute. Dale Cockrill was brought down outside the penalty area in the inside left channel for Scott Mitchell to send the direct free kick from 25 yards into the top far corner of the net.

From then on Lowestoft were in total control of the game. Matt Nolan's excellent pass found Gary McGee who squared the ball to Dale Cockrill but Julian Ashby's perfectly timed tackle prevented a second Lowestoft goal.

Little was seen of Redbridge as an attacking force but from Matt Gillingham's left wing cross Ade Cole should have done better than send a tame header straight at David Attridge. Matt Nolan was brought down on the edge of the penalty area and although keeper David McCartney could only parry Adam Smith's free kick he was quick to reclaim the ball at the feet of Gary McGee. From a Jamie Godbold corner Matt Halliday sent a header inches over the top.

Most Read

As with the first half Redbridge were quick off the mark at the start of the second half with Leon Diazuk not far wide from the edge of the area. Alex Read then grazed the Lowestoft crossbar before the Blues regained control. Jamie Godbold moved inside Matt Gillingham but David McCartney saved low by his post.

The second goal that Lowestoft had been threatening came in the 58th minute. Adam Smith's surged down the left flank and played the ball inside to Matt Nolan who moved inside Simon Preddie to drive the ball home from 25 yards. An accidental clash between team-mates Andrew Fisk and Scott Mitchell saw the latter taken off with blood streaming from a suspected broken nose to be replaced by Craig Bussens.

Lowestoft added their third goal in the 79th minute with Adam Smith again making ground down the left and from his cross Jamie Godbold's shot was blocked but Dale Cockrill pounced to hit the loose ball into the net from 10 yards. Lowestoft immediately sent on young Joe Clark to replace Matt Nolan and the youngster almost made an immediate impact as he raced though the middle only to be tackles as he prepared to shoot by George Alder.

With three minutes left Lowestoft added a 4th goal with Jamie Godbold's cross finding Matt Halliday totally unmarked by the far post to head home. The icing was put on the cake in the final minute as Dale Cockrill's 30 yard thunderbolt found the top corner of the net.

Redbridge: McCartney, Adams, Habu, Alder, Preddie, Ashby (Sub Laxton 79), Cole (Sub Edmunds 67), Diaczuk, Georgiou (Sub Ross 74), Read, Gillingham, Subs (not used) Nougher, Durrell.

Lowestoft Town: Attridge, Plaskett, Smith, Dale Cockrill, Crane (Sub Potter 46), Halliday, Godbold, Fisk, Nolan (Sub Clark 80), Mcgee, Mitchell (Sub Bussens 67), Subs (not used) Poppy, Reynolds.

Attendance: 100

Terry Lynes