City in for a £15m player? Don’t think so, Darren
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
It looks like former Ipswich Town player Darren Bent hasn’t read the script about Norwich City and the Premier League.
Bent, who has recently announced his retirement from football to become a pundit, says Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips would be a perfect fit for the Canaries.
Phillips has been linked with moves into the top flight since Leeds failed to win promotion from the Championship, having been one of their outstanding players last season.
"I'm a big fan of Kalvin Phillips, I think he's brilliant," said bent.
"He is too good for the Championship and deserves to be playing in the Premier League. He was probably Leeds' best player last season and one of the best in the division.
You may also want to watch:
"I can't see him going to Aston Villa now, as they've brought in two new defensive midfielders and I can't see them signing a third, even though it's such an important position these days."
"I would love to see him in the Premier League this season, and he'd be brilliant for one of the two other new boys, Sheffield United and Norwich.
- 1 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 2 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 4 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 5 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 8 'I rate him. He's a fantastic player' - Farke open to Skipp return
- 9 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 10 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
"I can see one of them getting him. It would need to be a big bid to get him this late in the day."
All of which suggests that Norwich won't be signing him, given speculation that Leeds value Phillips at more than £15m.
Phillips has already featured in one team laden with City players - he was named in the Team of the Season, alongside Max Aarons, Teemu Pukki and Jamal Lewis.
But City's only big outlay for a permanent signing so far this summer has been the £750,000 they paid West Ham for the services of full-back Sam Byram.
Phillips might be coveted by many, but it is unlikely City will fork out big money before the transfer window closes at 5pm next Thursday.
A betting man might suggest Aston Villa are more likely to splash the cash again: although Dean Smith has already secured the services of defensive midfielders Marvelous Nakamba for £11m and Manchester City's Douglas Luiz.